Using the genuine Windows 8 upgrade offer ?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by iang27, Jan 19, 2013.

1. iang27

iang27 MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2013
    I tried several times to buy the 'offer' Windows 8 upgrade using my older Windows 7 keys but was turned down every time because Microsoft must somehow know how old each pc is. I managed to be given a serial number from a friend who has just bought a Windows 7 laptop and who is not interested in going to Windows 8 and this worked immediately so I now have my desktop genuinely licenced. Now today I tried to use the same Windows 7 key to enable me to buy another offer licence but again Microsoft must know that the Windows 7 key has already been used for an upgrade so I got the 'Sorry but no' screen. Does anyone know if I use the original link sent to me by email whether it will allow me buy another offer licence using the same offer code or will I more than likely get a 'Sorry but no' warning because the offer code has been used before. Alternatively would I be able to use the genuine key on my laptop(s) as well as my desktop or would it not work. I did not know if it was possible to run my two/three pc's in the same household with the same genuine key ??

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Maybe it would be work with 2 installation/activation if you didn't use the machines together at the same time.

I use the have one Key used on 2 Computer, the Main and the Backup while the Backup is off line and not used, just stand by if the main goes down. Those machines having the same MB and I could just use the same System HDD in both computer. I also have Windows 8 installed on an extra HDD if the Main computer and it's HDD goes down too. Both are activated used the same Key. They also could work together on the same network, I tested that, but long time, not to force to get de-activated. The Backup Computer I start only for to download and install the latest Updates. There isn't any guaranty that that could/would/will be a permanent solution!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...