using thin apps instead of traditional installers?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by stayboogy, Jul 2, 2011.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #1 stayboogy, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
    anyone using strictly thin apps / portables instead of always doing traditional installs to their machines?

and if so, what are the benefits aside from space saving?

i've just recently, (and by recent i mean today lol) started fooling with these and i'm liking it already. don't know why i've waited so long, but running thin apps seems to be fairly economical in my opinion...

whose got a lot of experience running and producing thin apps / portables???

also, what are some good free apps to use to produce thin apps?? (not vmware thin app as it is not free, but is free to try, i'm talking full versions for free)

thanks for your input in advance :cool:

2. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    It's standalone that's benefit, no install. Not sure if there are free Thin app tools ?! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 2percent

2percent MDL Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Have you looked at PortableApps.com? It probably is not what you are looking for since they must run on their own platform.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    let me try:
    1. registry database
    with install you mess around with windows registry (install path, options, keys and other stuff ...)
    portable program have basic registry entry or do not use registry (have his own .ini file)
    2. registration
    sometimes software with install maybe need registration key or any kind of activation to work
    portable don't need that or key is portable too.

5. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    i'd like to make vmware player portable somehow. that's my goal since it's a better virtual machine that all it's components work for me, though it has services that it needs, but these are just simple .exe files that can be run at any time i would think. we shall see...

6. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Guess that would be hard to accomplish, VMPlayer requires specific drivers, services etc for it to function correctly

7. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    the services are just exe files so that is no problem like i mentioned above. the can be started and terminated at will within my XP i know. as for drivers, there aren't many, and it was done with virtual box, so i'm not seeing why there should be any problem at all. though reading online i've seen where others say that it would be hard to impossible, but i don't think anyone has ever really tried to do it either.

8. jlgager

jlgager MDL Developer

Oct 30, 2009
    Most of the time if you install a program then copy its files to another folder then uninstall it you thus you have made it portable. Then if you want one exe file just use a sfx with winrar and set it to extract all files to a temp folder on run and delete files on close. Then it is Portable. Hope this helps.

9. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    well, i've done this with several things and it works less of the time than it does work properly...

10. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Big issue there what will happen to the virtual network :eek:, would be interesting to try though.

11. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    well i've got a VMware Player exe that runs completely self contained where one can create and configure a VM, but when it comes to playing it is where the problems begin. it appears that to make it completely portable it's going to take some script work to run all the needed services (which i have found have quite a few dll dependencies), install on use and remove on exit drivers, and still some data folders bundled with the exe, so it will not be completely contained in one exe file, but maybe in just a couple folders is possible after all. i'll start a new thread for it, if i ever get this thing working mint.

12. FarCry3r

FarCry3r MDL Novice

Jul 8, 2011
    Not VMWare Player, but I did made Virtual PC 2007 SP1 portable a few years back. The launcher will add necessary registry keys & values, install the network driver, launch VPC, remove network driver and remove any created registry keys & values. Search Google if you'd like to try that :)