Using two sound cards

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sittingduck77, Dec 16, 2011.

1. sittingduck77

sittingduck77 MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    When I was running an extended desktop on a Windows XP pc with 2 sound cards, I could have a movie running on the extended desktop and while it was running, I could switch to using the other sound card and open ie my browser. That way I had Browser sounds in my headphones while not disturbing the missus with the browser sounds while she was watching the movie on the extended desktop. As long as the program running the movie wasn't closed it would keep playing sounds through the original sound card instead of using the newly selected standard sound unit. XP made it easy to "confine" a program to a certain sound card, so to speak.

How do I replicate this in Windows 7? When switching standard sound unit in Win 7, the sound also switches to the new sound card. So when running a movie in VLC, switching sound cards also "steals" the sound from VLC. It must be ablot to overcome this, but I need some help. I hope this makes sense. Thanks in advance.

2. regal

regal MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I haven't had any issues using multiple soundcards with Win7x64. I've got four sound cards, you should just be able to set the soundcard in the individual programs. For example for foobar I set it to use soundcard A, for WMP soundcard B, etc, etc.