Using Windows 10 without activation

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by redbug, Jul 28, 2015.

1. redbug

redbug MDL Junior Member

Sep 27, 2010
    #41 redbug, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    (OP)
    Looks like there is no uniform code of conduct for unactivated Windows 10. Different versions react differently.
    Currently downloading Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB N (x64) DVD English, and will test that one too. I'm on a mission from God.

On my real machine, I still run Windows 7. It seems too early to commit to Windows 10.
    Am becomming alarmed about the privacy issues with Win 10. Trying to get reacquainted with Ubuntu in a VM. Starting to think giving up freedom for convenience is a bad deal.

https:// translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=cs&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Faeronet.cz%2Fnews%2Fanalyza-windows-10-ve-svem-principu-jde-o-pouhy-terminal-na-sber-informaci-o-uzivateli-jeho-prstech-ocich-a-hlasu%2F

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. cbutters

cbutters MDL Junior Member

Oct 17, 2007
    I've been running a Windows 10 Pro 10240 install for 40 Days without activating. I now have the watermark asking to activate, and inability to personalize, but no other adverse affects yet (no 1 hour limits or random reboots or any other screens). Anybody know what happens after long periods of time (90/120+ days)? Or is that it? I'm using it on a little pc that exists solely to plug in usb hdds for backup purposes, it essentially runs headless. Anybody have any guesses for how long this setup will work?

3. jesusxenu

jesusxenu MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2013
    If you do want to activate windows 10 you could try what I did. My install was a fresh windows 10 install over a month ago.

To activate windows I,

1) Created a 20 GB partition on my C: drive (shrank volume etc)

2) Installed windows 7 SP1 to said partition, activated via DAZ, and restarted. (make sure after reboot windows 7 shows as genuine)

3) Ran gatherstateos.exe in windows 7 (copied from Windows 10 10240 ISO, sources folder) - Thanks to abbodi1406

4) Rebooted to windows 10 and copied GenuineTicket.xml to C:\programdata\microsoft\windows\clipsvc\genuineticket\ (gatherstatos.exe outputs the .xml to same directory .exe is run from) - Thanks to abbodi1406

5) Restarted (my not be needed) and in an elevated command prompt: SLMGR.VBS –REARM followed by SLMGR.VBS –ATO

4. cbutters

cbutters MDL Junior Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Thanks for the tips jesusxenu, I'm aware how to activate using upgrade methods. This thread is more about discovering what happens if you DON'T activate, purely from the perspective of having the knowledge of what actually happens to unactivated machines.