UxStyle updated for windows 8 (experimental)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by WithinRafael, Sep 3, 2012.

1. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    That's how I felt when Adobe decided to pull 64-bit Flash from their site in 2010.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. optical10

optical10 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Can anyone confirm that the March Tuesday Windows updates doesn't cause the black blinking screen issue with "UXstyle Core Beta experimental" in situ?

Having just restored my OS to pre-March Tuesday Windows updates using Acronis, restored the original "UltraUXThemePatcher" patched 3 x "themeui.dll.backup", "uxinit.dll.backup", "uxtheme.dll.backup" files 9in the System32 folder) by manually using "take ownership" of said files and then finally uninstalling all 10 x March Tuesday Windows updates (because I wasn't sure which one was causing the issue) you can imagine I don't want to repeat this procedure every time Microsoft Windows 8 updates.

I guess my initial mistake was using "UltraUXThemePatcher" even though it wasn't Windows 8 compatible but as it worked ignorance was bliss until the updates issue reared its ugly head.
    However hopefully with confirmation from you guys here I'll be on the right track with "UXstyle Core Beta experimental" until the alpha build arrives?

Thanks

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Have no problems here with UXstyle Core Beta experimental after last updates :D.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. optical10

optical10 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2012
    Great, thanks

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Had problems with updates myself, running UXThemePatch on Win 7, then found the service based UXStyle. Worked with no problems in Seven and now in Win 8 :good3:.

6. dafmat71

dafmat71 MDL Junior Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Hi, yes, in fact: UltraUXTheme patcher have problems with cumulative updates for IE10, cause it changes some patched dll ( uxtheme, uxinit, themeui)!!

So, with UXstyle Core beta, nothing is patched, it runs like a service, so no problem...but with it the boot can be a little delayed between the bootlogo and the logon, i've experianced that!

I prefered UltraUXTheme patcher, but i think that it's more easyest to use UXstyle Core beta to be more relax when update comes!! ;)

7. luke7

luke7 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    UxStyle seems to be offline

8. dsbig

dsbig MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    #49 dsbig, May 4, 2013
    Last edited: May 4, 2013
    I been having a problem when uninstalling the program and rebooting the computer results in an unbootable system on windows 8

after the boot logo the screen flashes on and off and the led keys on my keyboard go on and off in sync with the monitor.

lucky I had a back image and was able to restore the system

I tried it more then once and the same thing happened.

reason for problem?

someone stated that the uninstall is not removing the service completely

and safemode will not work after the issue happens as the same thing happens when trying to run safemode

that using recovery command and using regedit and removing the left overs will fix the problem.

I havent tried that. I hate messing with the registry in recovery mode. too much work.

9. dafmat71

Feb 24, 2011
    Try to find default "uxtheme", "uxinit", "themeui" ( by asking a friend), then rename those files in .backup, replace the ones in system32 with those ones, now you can uninstall this s**t!!
    After, if you will using themes, install: "UXstyle Core beta" and never again "UltraUXTheme patcher" ;)

10. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    If you had read his reply you would notice that he is using uxstyle not utrauxtheme.

And replacing the modified dlls with the original ones won't solve the issue. I had the same problem and the only way was to do a system restore to a few days back. that wiped the reg keys and replaced the original dlls.

11. dafmat71

Feb 24, 2011
    #52 dafmat71, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    It's really strange, cause uxstyle just runs as a service ( no dlls aren't change)!!
    So, you must use Windows default themes before delete it, then reboot!
    But the description of the problem is exactly what ultrauxthemepatcher does, so are you sure to not have tested it before and let some traces, cause Uxstyle "alone" is only a .exe who runs at the boot ( no regs, no dlls)?!

12. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Notice that the problem is that when you turn the PC on it won't go past the login screen. Actually, the login screen doesn't even come up, just a blank screen with a movable cursor, so we can't use the default theme and uninstall.

I used ultrauxtheme before on 1 computer (but it didn't patch anything, just made backups of the original dlls) but not on the other 2 pcs I have.

13. dafmat71

Feb 24, 2011
    #54 dafmat71, May 5, 2013
    Last edited: May 5, 2013
    Ok, so yes, a blank screen is not a ultrauxthemepatcher problem and more: you haven't install it!!
    It's the mess!
    I can't help you more, of course i use uxstyle also, but never had a similar problem, but like i said before it's really strange cause uxstyle not modify any dll, reg or files, it's just an exe ( UnsignedThemesSvc.exe ) placed in Windows folder, who runs at the start!
    Does the conceptor not have a mail or a messagebox?!
    Maybe can you make a test, apply the windows default theme, go to services, stop the "UnsignedThemes" services at the boot and see if you can boot without it, to be sure that uxstyle is the problem, in this case if you can't boot it isn't the problem!
    ( Of course make the test if you have, first, restored the system partition!)

14. ll Itachi ll

ll Itachi ll MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2012
    Sorry to sound n00b but what is UxStyle?
    I couldnt have any idea about reading 1st post and visiting the given website.

:confused:

15. ShyFx

ShyFx MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2013
    UxStyle is almost like a patch so you can use unsigned themes, but seems like some side effects in some people with black screen or something with flashing screen when the data boot up. Not sure yet.

16. dafmat71

Feb 24, 2011
  17. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
    they are both patchers
    only difference is one copies over a file(s) (hard copy)
    and other does it from memory

neither is better or worse (as long as they WORK!)

18. dafmat71

Feb 24, 2011
    "UxStyle" doesn't change systemfiles!!

19. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    It changes them in memory only, but they are changed.