VDM Sound under Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Phazor, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Well, i was sort of in a retro-mood a couple of days ago so i dusted off the old Tomb Raider disk and gave it a shot on Win7.

What i can say in advance: It looks fabulous in 1600x1200 with dgVoodoo 1.50beta, and with the timer boost feature disabled there are absolutely no problems with the game itself either.

Only one problem kind of spoils the experience and that is that the sound is 'suboptimal' to say the least. In particular i am talking about the constant static (crackling) that accompanies practically every sound played back by the emulated Wave device. (Shots, footfalls, etc.) Playing with the DMA parameters in the VDM INI seems to be the only thing that has any effect, but even though i could reduce the static to some degree it is still present. Now the interesting thing is that with VDos32, which uses the VDM DLL too, there is no static whatsoever. To me this means that VDos32 is running the DLL with certain parameters, which again means that it is possible to achive static-less VDM sound. So do any of you happen to know what params i had to play with to get rid of the crackling under Win7? Like i said, the game itself runs fine but these constant sound interferences are really annoying.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...