Ventoy - Easy USB multiboot for ISO files (UEFI, too!)

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, May 1, 2020.

Brother its not just only ISO Boot Program but in fact AIO USB Boot Tool as you can boot vhd , vdi virtual machine as Physical Machine using this Tool .
    You can Boot PE or RE or FE Based Wim's too using this tool
    You can Boot EFI Bootable Files like Grub File Manager Boot Directly via this Tool
    etc etc etc its a great tool by LongPanda Aka Ventoy :)

1. mhussain

mhussain MDL Senior Member

Oct 1, 2012
    hi,
    @ventoy
    would it be possible to have some sort of accessibility support?
    i'm blind and use screen reading software.
    would it be possible to integrate a screen reader in to the boot menu?
    if this is linux based, then espeak combined with espeakup will work,
    if windows based then narrator?
    to conferm,
    would it be possible to have speech support after you reboot in to your usb?
    Majid

2. @verndog Sir Pl Update as Ventoy 1.0.48 is released Yesterday . i have downloaded & updated it on all my external drives just within half an hour it is updated on Longpanda Github Releases Index without any issue . Working Great at My Side with some Tweaks done by myself to its main package.

3. Thanks & All Credits Goes to You Boss for Starting this Awesome Thread here on MDL am just updating its updates via my comments nothing else.
    Thanks a Lot Lot from My side :worthy:

4. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Hmm, take it easy please...
    Actually, I would like to apologize for not reacting much in this thread lately. Like I said, I was a tiny bit disappointed with the PE stuff.
    Over the last hour, I did a test of Ventoy 1.0.49 using both a standard XPE build and a build of my personal custom PE, on 3 different PC's (2x BIOS, 1x Hybrid BIOS/ UEFI). Everything worked OK and the iso was correctly remounted as drive letter Y: after boot (again, this is needed for a lot of PE tools, at least the ones based on the XPE projects).
    To be honest: I don't remember exactly which system of mine had problems with this in te past (maybe it's one I don't even own anymore), but I know of at least one person who did have the problems, he's testing as well right now...

5. Supern00b

Supern00b MDL Addicted

Dec 30, 2010
    #214 Supern00b, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    I just got myself a 5TB WD external hd.
    My old grub4dos menu system was aging and I wanted to have a dual mbr-uefi bootable hd.
    This is, of course, a contradiction. A 5GB external hd has to be partitioned as a GPT disk, normally ruling out mbr boot.
    Not a biggie, anyways I did test mbr boot with version 1.048.
    It was a pleasant surprise to see, due to the "protected mbr" included in Ventoy's GPT partition setup, I could boot in both mbr and uefi mode on my test system.
    This is a huge advantage.

A while back I posted some first impressions with Ventoy, page number 7 or so.
    Now, after revisiting the project, there are some issues still outstanding that makes Ventoy fall short as a multiboot solution.

- Old processors are not supported. On a Celeron E3300 system, boot hangs with the text "VT" and it needs a hard reset.
    Other mobile processors Like T series pentiums also don't boot at all.
    This is actually a big deal for me, I still get a lot of those systems to maintain and for now I have to use an old usb key to boot.

- No way to boot DOS. Bios updates in DOS mode cannot be done without having to chainload G4D and launch some DOS boot image with ntfs support.
    Even then it is a hit and miss, sometimes the filesystem is not accesible after chainloading G4D + DOS boot image.

Those two are my biggest wishes for future Ventoy, if it can be solved it will be almost perfect.

Tried Steve's easy2boot again to see if it would fit my needs, but apparently it doesn't support GPT partitioning, leaving me with only 2TB mbr partitioned disk space, the maximum.
    I could leave 3TB unused for the moment, so tried it anyways.
    But again I found it cumbersome to use, it is slow and needs fiddling and often renaming iso's.

So I'm back to Ventoy now, however limited it still is. Hoping it will get better in the future so I can have only one disk, not several.

Cheers.

6. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    @verndog
    With a Windows Vista SP2 x64 image, booting in UEFI with CMS
    06-08-2021 07.30.40.ls.jpg
    Version 1.0.49 - clean install.

Rufus would boot/install successfully with same image.
    Vista RTM image would fail with both so that would be issue with image, not tool itself.

7. Vista rtm does not support efi, so it is expected to fail with ventoy and rufus :)

For Vista SP2 x64,
    ventoy has to add an ISO emulator driver
    while rufus simply partitions the disk as gpt, adds a single fat32 partition and dumps all the iso files on to that partition
    I think the driver doesn't work on vista simply because vista is too primitive

8. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Only x64 with CMS enabled is possible, I could not find explicit where it says that RTM is not supported but SP2 works with Rufus and should work with Ventoy.

Edit:
    @Exe Csrss thanks for clarification
    :)

9. ventoy

ventoy MDL Novice

May 1, 2020

Ventoy only support Windows7+