Very new to this and I have questions/problems

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by natenkiki2004, May 26, 2009.

1. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    #1 natenkiki2004, May 26, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
  4. bokkoman

bokkoman MDL Junior Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Dont install any new timers or reset timers. Try to remove every bit of loaders/timers etc with VOATKTools.
    When that is done. Reboot, and uninstall all certs and keys you installed.
    Maybe another reboot would be good, when back in windows, install certs and key for asus again and you should be fine.

5. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
  6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    Yea... I think I messed it up pretty good. I've got about 10 BSOD's today, even after reverting to a factory BIOS. However, I have a dualboot with W7 and Vista and I got the same BSOD in W7 so either I have hardware issues that didn't decide to show themselves until today or I have traces of the 5 or 6 bootloaders I tried messing things up. Can the bootloaders do this?

Also, if I end up formatting and installing Vista again, what is the recommended way to install the cert, key and bios mod. I am going to be using vlite.

8. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    #8 natenkiki2004, May 27, 2009
    Last edited: May 27, 2009
    (OP)
    NVM about the above I read the make your own OEM dvd sticky. I still have a couple questions:
    Can bootloaders really mess up like in my situation? (I'm trying to rule out hardware issues)
    Does having a RAID array affect the bios mod & cert & key at all?
    Is there a way to test these in VirtualBox?

9. bokkoman

bokkoman MDL Junior Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Bios mod shouldnt give you problems. When you get such a BSOD, it gives you a code. Remember it (write is down) and search google for more info.
    If you still can't get windows activated, i'd say reinstall vista for a nice clean install (with SP2 intergrated).
    Just download that dvd somewere, burn it and install it. After install, install certs and key again for asus.
    Btw, how do you install it? Using msdos with a special command (can't remember it now) or some home made GUI?

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You can install the cert with slmgr.vbs from elevated command prompt. The serial can be input on install.

I would put the cert in the sources\oem folder and enter the key on install. Then you have nothing to do after install.
    Without the PID.TXT in the sources folder, you have an option to install other versions with the same DVD.. :D JMO...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  12. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    =\ Why? I don't need a lot of the crap that's installed. Wasted hard drive space. Can you show me a legitimate problem that vLite causes that is not caused by user error? :D

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Personal preference, I guess. I don't have any hard facts on it. Just a feeling..:D:D:p

Good luck!!

14. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    Thanks. Any idea how to test the OEM cert and key in VirtualBox?

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Try downloading and updating to sp2 after using vlite it wont do it nuhi adds markers and garbage to a lot or the files do a crc: check between a modded and unmodded vista folder and you will see that. same with nlite.

Just use ultraiso open ISO and drag your $OEM$ folder and pid.txt if your gonna use it into sources and burn the dvd you dont even neet to save it:D

As for VirtualBox the developer wont ad the option to use slic because of MS elua. you could use vmware or MS virtual pc there are modded bioses in the Virtualization section.

16. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    #17 natenkiki2004, May 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ natenkiki2004, No i'm not saying that that a vLite install won't activate as OEM? you need to unpack your iso then add the $OEM$ folder and pid.txt but don't remove any files just use vlite to burn you dvd.

18. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 MDL Novice

May 26, 2009
    Alright thanks. I'm going to be trying this either today or tomorrow. Thanks everybody for your help :)

19. TheWire

TheWire MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    Hi natenkiki2004, I have the the same mobo as you(EP45-UD3P, Rev1.1). I also used the same moddded F9 'Asus' Bios SLIC/cert as you. I got 'locked out by M$' so I just did a clean install and hopefully everything went right.I flashed the F9 BIOS as I have a nice overclock on this exact BIOS and it still works fine(of course I went to default at the time). I had been using VistaLoader2 on Vista 32 Ultimate Edition. I think I should have deleted the old Vista off as when using a utility it said I only has 28days left, I just wanted to keep my program; academic now as very soon I will be going Vista64/Windows7 64(RTM build 7600) so much of them will have issues.

So I used Voaktools(sp.) to attempt to rid my machine of all loaders and whatever else I had so as to purge Vista of it's Dellness. Now hears the funny thing, the whole thing went perfect. After repeated attempts at getting rid of all cracks with both Voaktools and manually, then using the same tool to put odd values in my OEM certifaction and whatever else I was going to make good again with Asus info, several reboots, I SLMGR.VBS'd my Asus certificate and my ultimate number.

It seems ok, I just did a load of updates(pointless.... as the 64 thing is hours away... but I could do with the practise with any weird issues involving errors from this 'Hard' patching) and so far it just says that Windows is Activated. I have no clue to finding out if I've been succesfull. What I do know is that Dell logo are still there and certain lines of info have been xxxx'd out like phone number, etc. I have not done much but am yet to see any mention of Asus except in the binary images of the Bios and when I put the certificate in a Hex editor. Well, everything seems to be where it has to be, so I'm hoping. If anyone knows a sure fire sign it is/isn't working(within the next 28 days:)) I would love to know.

BTW, you do realise it says 5. Install an OEM product key matching the installed edition of Windows Vista :(x86:( by running...... That would surely mean these product keys are no good to you(or me soon) for your Vista 64 problem. Fine for my Vista 32 though.... should be.... hope this works as this is the first mod I've done and it was not too hard. Anyway mate hope you've sorted it out! We shall have to compare notes!