Very slow boot time

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Geveral, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Geveral

Geveral MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2017
    I have an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, 8gb RAM, 1tb Seagate Barracuda HDD, and a Corsair Force LE200 120gb SSD, with 70% free space with Windows 10 1709 installed on it.
    The thing is, for about 3 months since first boot, the boot time was barely 20 seconds, but suddenly (it started at some point in october I think) the boot time has went up to something like 3-4 minutes..
    Already checked the Windows troubleshoot which found nothing, checked my SSD's health through Corsair's management program and no problem there neither, updated graphic drivers, tried to unable ULPS..
    Did all those things a couple of times already for the last few months but still nothing works.
    I hope that you can help me out with that annoying problem.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #2 Mr.X, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Did you check your HDD?
    Better yet, unplug it and try.

3. EXO56

EXO56 MDL Member

Mar 22, 2013
    This might have nothing to do with your HDD or SSD health or inegrity
    While booting, Windows is loading drivers first, then it loads services

Enable verbose boot to eventually help you to identify the culprit by doing this:
    Run "msconfig.exe" (just type "msconfig" in your run box without quotes)
    on Boot tab, check both "Boot log" & "OS boot information"
    Apply & reboot

Windows will display more informations about boot process as it is loading necessary files
    You'll be able to spot on what makes your windows booting so slowly
    if you need to take a look at the Boot log file, type in run box :
    Code:
    notepad %SystemRoot%\ntbtlog.txt

4. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Yes it might have something to do. Rarely but it might have to. It happened to me a couple of months in my own personal computer.

5. EXO56

EXO56 MDL Member

Mar 22, 2013
    i said "might have nothing to do with...."
    which is suggesting that other scenarios might also occur and reasonably reserve a percentage for the other part of possible causes
    so technically, my reply doesn't necessarly eliminate your possible cause!

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #6 Mr.X, Mar 10, 2018
    Then it'd better started like this:
    See the difference?

FWIW, I spent much time looking for a culprit program when I could just have unplugged the HDD in the first place and see what happened.

7. EXO56

EXO56 MDL Member

Mar 22, 2013
    As you wish :)
    Lets not clutter this thread with syntax nuances and focus on the most important, which is troubleshooting the op issue

i'm sure op will do as you suggested to him too
    if it is not resolving his problem, he can also try my suggestion or any other one that other members would post

8. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    I have encountered similar issues in the past. In my case they turned out to be:
    1. virus hogging all the resources
    2. HDD running in PIO mode instead of DMA/UDMA
    3. processor cache turned off in the BIOS (how THAT happened I'll never know)

Does the PC run normally once it has booted? Have you checked resource usage in Task Manager?
    If it is just the boot, then some boot option might be responsible. In one case network booting was turned on and the system was looking for a network share to boot from.

9. EXO56

EXO56 MDL Member

Mar 22, 2013
    i've also experienced the Network share issue
    On another computer, the culprit was a vpn service that was the last one to load
    Loading boot files was very fast, but it was drastically slowing down while login in
    Disabling the vpn service immediately resolved the issue

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #11 John Sutherland, Mar 10, 2018
    :g:October of last year was when this problem began? That neatly coincides with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Just a coincidence? Or the cause of the problem? I did notice a small increase in boot time after this update, but nothing on the order of 3-4 minutes. This could be caused by so many things, but it all boils down to two basic things: 1.) It's a hardware problem. 2.) It's a software problem.

Hardware:
    1.) Check the connections on the SATA cable, or better yet, swap the existing cable for a different one that you know is good.

2.) Double-check that the cable is connected to the correct SATA port on the mobo that's used for SSD drives. Consult owners manual and verify that this is correct.

3.) Double-check your BIOS settings to verify that AHCI mode is enabled and fast start up is enabled.

4.) Double-check the mobo manufaturer's support website, verify that your BIOS is up to date and you're running the latest drivers for the chipset and the hard drive controller.

5.) Double-check Corsair's support website, verify you're using the latest firmware for the SSD.

6.) Last but not least. You mentioned that you have "70% free space" on Windows. You're referring to the unused space on the Windows C:\ system partition, correct? But did you leave any unallocated space on the SSD to allow for over-provisioning? Unallocated means free space on the SSD that lies in a non-partitioned and unformatted area, usually located beyond the end of the Windows C:\ system partition. SSD's need over-provisioning to perform functions like garbage collection and wear leveling. Without it, the controller gets into a constant struggle to perform these tasks, which can lead to degraded read/write performance. My advice would be to use Corsair's management software to create the recommended space needed for over-provisioning, or if that feature is not available in their software, use Windows Disk Management to shrink the Window's C:\ system partition. In your case, on a 120GB drive, about 10 to 12GB should be enough. After doing this, give the controller some time to sort things out. Boot up and leave the system idle for about a half hour. Then reboot and see if your boot time has improved or not.

Software:
    1.) Go into the power management settings, select "Change settings that are currently unavailable, and verify the box marked "Turn on fast startup" is checked. Reboot and see if anything changes.

2.) Right-click and open the Command Prompt as Administrator, and enter the command "dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth". If it reports "There are no integrity violations", it means there are no missing or corrupted Windows system files. If it does report a problem, run the command a second time, substituting "/scanhealth" in place of "/checkhealth". When this completes, usually in 15 to 20 minutes, run the command a third time, substituting "/restorehealth" for "/checkhealth". doing this will replace any missing/corrupted Windows system files. Reboot and see if anything changes.

3.) If the issue with slow startup still persists after performing all the steps above, it's time to investigate to see if it's Windows or your installed apps that are the causing of the problem. Open "Run" and enter "msconfig". First, under the "General" tab, uncheck "Normal Startup" and check "Selective Startup". Under Selective Startup, make sure that "Load system services" is checked, and that "Load startup items" is not checked. Then click "Apply". Second, under the "Services" tab, first check "Hide all Microsoft services", then click the tab ""Disable all", then click "Apply". Close System Configuration and reboot. If you see a significant change in boot time, then it's one of your installed apps that's causing the problem. If you see no change at all, then it's Windows that's causing the problem.

That's all I can offer for now. At least you'll be able to tell if it's a hardware issue, and if it's a software issue, whether it's Windows or one of your installed apps that are the cause of the problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Imkruzen

Imkruzen MDL Member

Jan 9, 2011
    #12 Imkruzen, Mar 10, 2018
    This is quick to try:
    Clean Boot

To enter a clean boot state, type msconfig in start search and hit Enter to open the System Configuration Utility. Click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup. Clear the Load Startup Items check box, and ensure that Load System Services and Use Original boot configuration are checked.

Next, click the Services tab. Select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box. Now click Disable all.

Click Apply/OK and restart the computer. This will put Windows into a Clean Boot State.

If the clean boot helped you fix the error, fine! Else in the General tab, also click to clear the Load System Services check box, click Apply/OK and restart.

To configure Windows to use the normal startup state, simply undo the changes.

You can turn off the other drives in Computer management /Disk management and put them Off Line and reboot.

13. forwardintofuture

forwardintofuture MDL Junior Member

Dec 7, 2016
  14. forwardintofuture

forwardintofuture MDL Junior Member

Dec 7, 2016
    This is a good point.Had experienced some issues like that before. Slow downs may be caused by a program. Once uninstalled everything gets back to normal.