video show grains

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cooler2005, Sep 16, 2009.

1. cooler2005

cooler2005 MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2009
    Hi.!

I am trying to play a DVD video file on my windows 7 windows media player. Since it is a DVD format, the movie is crystal clear (hv tested it on my laptop [vista]). When i play it in windows 7, the movie shows a lot of grains and is not at all clear.! I've even tried a couple of codecs, tried k-lite mega pack, Media player classic...btu in vain. Kindly help me out plz.

Thanks in advance.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  3. cooler2005

cooler2005 MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2009
    Hi..thanks for replying...

i had used VLC..K-lite...media player classic...windows media player...winamp...NOTHING worked..

4. twiz

twiz MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I'm another that will recommend CCCP + ZoomPlayer.
    Plays everything I've ever tried with excellent quality.

I've tried VLC on Windows and Linux and it's just so clunky and it sucks at rendering subtitles.

5. cooler2005

cooler2005 MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2009
    @above

Hi.! Thanks for replying.!

Tried all of this...still in vain...the video did improve a little bit though but not fully...

for the record...these are my system specifications

Operating System: Windows 7
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.00 GHz
    Motherboard: Asrock
    Graphics Card: Onboard Intel
    Memory: 1 GB
    System Type: 32-bit

It has a "Intel(R) 915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GE/GL Processor to I/O Controller - 2580"

6. berdinatilli

berdinatilli MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    might be your vga driver, intel always have or had some issues with intel clear video tech besides other issues related to vga driver...

in the past i had issues with it, had to use an older version to work properly...

try get the changelogs for your vga driver (actual, older and newer) directly from intel and check it out...

good luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Also, to rule out W7 on thsi particular hardware.
    I would either install vista or xp on this hardware platform and try to watch the dvd from that OS and see what it looks like.

Or boot up with something like "Ultimate Boot CD -Windows " and try to watch the dvd from there (may require 2 optical drives)

If either of those methods show the video like you expect it, then more than likely the video drivers that are being used with your W7 install aren't a perfect match.
    You can try to download the most current Vista drivers for your video card, uninstall your currently installed drivers through device manager ot add/remove programs (if there). Then install the newly downloaded Vista drivers and run with a right-click --> Troubleshoot Compatibility on the actual EXE.

Take the "Try recommended settings" option and it may install it as a vista install.

Sorry for being long winded.

Hope everything works out.

Mfk

8. tamarinde

tamarinde MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    #9 tamarinde, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
    Actually I have this same problem with blu-ray in powerdvd on nvidia.
    I will try to update my mobile drivers and see what it does.

Slightly improves with the latest drivers

9. buggerlugz

buggerlugz MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2009
    You need to go into the Nvidia control panel applet under adjust video colour settings and increase the dynamic range to full 0-255