View the amount of files on a paticular Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by cooge, Mar 24, 2009.

1. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    I want to find out how much space particular files types are taking up on certain drives. For example if I had a drive called Drive C i would like to see how many excel files (in mb/kb) are on there or how many system files are on there.
    I could search for a certain file type and then count the file sizes but this would take ages. Im sure I used to have a free piece of software that did this but cant for the life of me think what it was called. Can anybody help on this?
    Need to do this on XP, Vista and server 2000 os's.

2. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    SpaceMonger

Wow!!! What a great little tool (even though its a trial and not free).

Thanks a lot Offon this has done just the job i wanted it to do. Excellent.
    Think I might just go ahead and purchase this:D

4. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    Good But not quite right

The spacemonger software is good for getting an overall view of your drives and whats on them but it doesnt let you see by file type or if it does i dont know where the setting is.
    I need to display a graph, chart or csv file with the amount of space taken up by each file type. So i need to see how many excel files are on there or how many images etc...
    I am using a free app called jdiskreport which does the job but it takes for ever to scan drives.
    What I need is something with the speed of spacemonger and the flecibility of jdiskreport.
    Can anybody point me in the right direction.

p.s.
    If there is a way to do this straight from server 2000 or server 2003 then that would probably be better

5. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    #5 offon7544, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
    You can do all of this with spacemonger....
    Use the find command....
    Use the setup command to define your type file and color...
    Size, percentage, graph, chart, all are display by the parameters you want...

Ex in my computer :
    I use spacemonger 2.1 free edition
    Search file *.ods
    Number : 61
    Total size : 3,2MB
    Statistics, pie chart.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    SpaceMonger

Offon7544 is spot on: SpaceMonger is the fastest and most thorough app I have seen for providing useful info.

To find files by type/extension, SCAN the partition where the files are located. Then click on the FILES button in the tool bar which opens a FIND FILES bar immediately below the FILES tool bar button and above the main window. If you are looking for *.xlsx files, e.g., simply type, with or without wild cards, *.xlsx in the search bar. In the secondary window below the main window you will see a list of the precise location of every *.xlsx file located on the partition. At the top of the secondary window, you can click on a column heading to sort the data according to your wishes. On the status bar at the bottom of the window, you will see a tally of the number/space occupied by the files for which you searched. In the stats view you can inspect each section of the pie chart to see what is there, etc., etc., etc.

Be it Windirstat or JDiskreport, to say they are slow is an understatement. With either, unless you are working with tiny partitions, by the time they map partitions, you have time to wash, wax, and change the oil and filter on your car! :rolleyes:

Monk

7. cooge

cooge MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2008
    Spacemonger

Your Right it does take an age to get the analysis. I have had another go at spacemonger and it is doing exactly what it said it would. (note to self: Test apps thoroughly before dismissing)
    Because I was rushing to get this task finished i didnt take time out to look at all the options available in Spacemonger.
    As A consequence the job took me 3 times longer than it should have.

Thanks for the good advice Offon 7544 & HMonk

8. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Test apps

It's easy and reasonable to do - give an app a quick look and see if it is suitable to our needs. I think the problem is, in part, due to the fact that apps become so laden with options, buttons, panes, and dropdowns that it takes a while to realize of what the app is capable and how to access all of its potential.

In this instance, e.g., Offon7544 is able to save you a time consuming search by pointing to a very good app; because I have used all of the apps mentioned, I can pipe in and point out some of the pros and cons from my perspective, as well as highlight the features that you are seeking.

Hey Cooge, that's why you came to MyDigital. :D:cool:

Monk