Virtual Box vs Vmware Player

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Dromadus, Nov 9, 2017.

1. whizkidraj

whizkidraj MDL Giveaway Organiser

Apr 6, 2012
    Yup, I used to install various versions of Mac OS in Virtualbox and the latest versions of Virtualbox always used to give some or the other errors. Even on their forums, they used to recommend to use older versions, mostly the version 4.2.x or 4.3.x something. Then everything used to work. But I had to keep trying among the older versions, too. Not all of them worked for the task. Only a specific version recommended by them or some old users. But I have got used to virtualbox so I would still prefer using it or recommend it to my friends. Might have to try VMware Player, but never felt the need to. Virtualbox gave some trouble at the start, but a little googling got me to learn more about it and I can handle it very well now. Feels home. But yup, gotta and have to try VMware Player now seeing the comments of other experts here.

2. grrgrr

grrgrr MDL Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I have been using VMware Player (Free) since 2011.
    Virtualbox lacks a feature to copy files from within the Virtual OS to main OS. Same doesn't apply to VMware Player

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Not true, Virtual Box has the Shared Folder feature (although only if there are Virtual Box Guest Additions for that Guest OS). Otherwise, good old network shares work as well. With Guest Additions installed in the Guest, for some OS you can now even Drag and Drop files between Host and Guest.

4. grrgrr

grrgrr MDL Member

Oct 4, 2017
    yes, with few additions one can copy the files, but in case of VMware Player everything works out of the box. ;)

5. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    From what I know the VMWare Easy OS Install automatically installs the VMWare Additions. In Virtual Box, there's no Easy Install and the VBox Additions need to be explicitly installed by hand.

6. SPDIF

SPDIF MDL Junior Member

Mar 30, 2014
    #26 SPDIF, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    For Windows 8.1/10 users starting with PRO edition there is also a free virtual machine available.

Microsoft Hyper-V client, can be installed through the windows Feature menu.
    Also has its negative and positive, but maybe worth a try.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Pankhard159

Pankhard159 MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2018
  8. grrgrr

grrgrr MDL Member

Oct 4, 2017
    Yes, VMWare Additions are installed at the end.

9. qoxyva

qoxyva MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2018
    VMware better but only because I can use the virtual videocard inside my virtual machine. However, VirtualBox can be better in case of GNU/Linux because this supports many distros without problems. You can get a list of supported hosts and I don't see the new OpenSUSE 15 for example but they add support of the Ubuntu 18.04. If you need snapshots and you don't care about games or DirectX/OpenGL apps like I care, for an user without money or keys, VirtualBox is only way. VMware Player is not bad but it can't run more than one VM for example. Is somebody says Hyper-V? Okay I recommend use ESXI, QEMU, XEN or KVM, because this is a way, too. All this staff is free, you can try. ESXI, XEN or KVM allow play your games via PCI Passthrough in a VM with 98% of the host perfomance.

10. enrico zamparo

enrico zamparo MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2018
    see the usb ports in windows xp sp3 on hyper-v or virtualbox or vmware

11. Arch_Sta

Arch_Sta MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2018
    I have never had any problems with vmware... VirtualBox was buggy last time i tried it (was about 2 years ago... maybe things changed now ).

12. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    vmware still boss... 3d solid in vmware

13. fedewt

fedewt MDL Junior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Vmware great software, with windows guest (also macos guest after unlock it) work very well, better than virtualbox.
    Virtualbox at my opinion is great with linux guest, most of its include addons and work very well.

14. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I need a nested visualization which is only supported by VMware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    VirtualBox 6.x supports nested virtualization on AMD Host processors.

16. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    Where did you get that info?

17. Jumbo Flapjack

Jumbo Flapjack MDL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    I've never really had an issue with VirtualBox, but in fairness I haven't used VMWare in years.