Virtualbox Guests randomly crash for no reason at all

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by TheCollDude489, Oct 11, 2018.

1. TheCollDude489

TheCollDude489 MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2018
    For some odd reason, when running any Virtualbox VM I create, the Guest OS inside said VM tends to crash or freeze completely, requiring me to reset the VM I am currently using. This has been happening for a very long time(a couple years) on my older laptop as well.

Windows Guests display a BSOD with a random stop error code, while Linux Guests just freeze without displaying any sort of error on screen. The crashes happen regardless if I am actually doing anything in the VM or not. There seems to be no pattern as to when the guest OS crashes, and I cannot reproduce any of the crashes.

I am running the latest available version of Virtualbox, which is 5.2.18. My host OS is Windows 10 Enterprise version 1803.

This is what my CPU, GPU, and RAM consist of, if it is of any importance:
    • CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X @ 3.6Ghz
    • GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
    • RAM: 64GB DDR4 2666Mhz
    I have no idea why this issue is happening, nor do I know how I can fix it. The fact that the same issue also happens on my older laptop(which is Intel-based) makes me doubt it's a hardware fault. I also would have posted this on the Virtualbox support forums, but their account creation seems to require being part of an actual company.

Could someone please help me in solving this problematic issue?

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    You can create an Oracle SSO login even if you aren't a company / business. The users in their forum are private, for the most part.

If a company field is mandatory, be a bit "creative".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. app_raiser

app_raiser MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2018
    this began with 1803! microslot integrated well the features because of them we totally need meltdown and spectre protection (a positive point of view is possible!)

es i first set up a 1803 was wondering why so often freezes hangs /keeps host from shutting down a.s.o. so the vm activated software with background services of software on the host (or them running on shutdown of the vm) messed up the system. it's spectre and meltdown related, running scripts to stop and disable services on the host is also a (most performant solution)

so far.

4. TheCollDude489

TheCollDude489 MDL Novice

Apr 16, 2018
    OK, thanks for clarifying. The account creation form expects you to be part of or own a company(as the respective fields are required), so I'll just come up with a company name or something. Only issue is it wants a work phone number, but I'll just put in my home phone number.
    I doubt that the Guests crashing could be related to Meltdown and Spectre patches, since the same exact issue was happening for years on my older laptop, before Meltdown and Spectre was revealed to the public and patches were made available.