Virtualbox Guests randomly crash for no reason at all

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by TheCollDude489, Oct 11, 2018.

1. TheCollDude489

TheCollDude489 MDL Member

Apr 16, 2018
    OK, I'll change that back. I will try uploading the files today.

2. TheCollDude489

Apr 16, 2018
    I uploaded all of the files that you wanted inside of a ZIP archive. I've PMed you the link, as I uploaded it through Google Drive and do not want people seeing the name of my account on there.

3. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Just for info this is not a warez website, read the rules before. So search yourself on your favorite browser

4. app_raiser

app_raiser MDL Junior Member

Mar 18, 2018
    ok, found it, downloading it, thankfully this is not an everyday task "bsod after winblows update"

i will run the debugger for 1607, and download needed symbols. nirsoft utils are good, but bluescreenview is too small to be that accurate as windbg is!

you will read from me!

5. TheCollDude489

Apr 16, 2018
    OK. Also, I'm not sure if it's important to know, but those dumps were generated in version 1809 of Windows 10, since that was the OS I had installed in the VM at the time the files I sent you were produced.

6. app_raiser

Mar 18, 2018
    #26 app_raiser, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    hey! i have the result of debug session for you! i love windbg! the result is as accurate as i used to get. and, of course, i see that 17763.1 was running. i use 17763.107 on machines 1809 shall run, you can create an up to date image youself or find a download link in this forum!

but now the accurate result, you won't believe it, but the driver that caused the bsod's is "hdaudbus.sys", the sounddriver! and is is possible the you plugged in speakers or turned on some music while the vm was running?? if so, that would explain some lines in the detailed debug output. ^^

the problems with this device under winX 1809 are well known and solved meanwhile. so, you may also download an actual version of realtek (intel) hdaudio driver that fit's to your mainboard and host system, or just shut of sound in the preferences of the vm, then the bsod's should be gone.

i send you the debug output in detail per PM..

greetings!

7. TheCollDude489

Apr 16, 2018
    Sorry for the late reply. Apparently the last time I attempted to post to this thread did not seem to work, so my response was never made public.

I honestly would not expect the audio driver to cause BSODs like that though, most likely a notification came up(which causes a little sound to play) in the VM while it was running, possibly triggering the BSOD inside the VM. I disabled sound for the VM completely(to the point that no audio devices appear in the Device Manager inside of the VM), but the BSODs still persist under the 0x9F error code.

I am not sure where exactly to download an actual version of the Realtek driver, so I did not do that yet.

8. app_raiser

Mar 18, 2018
    #29 app_raiser, Nov 10, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    simply deactivate sound in the audio settings (out is set to ON if you have not changed standard setting) !!
    further you can look in the vm's devmgmt.msc to uninstall (virtual) sound devices, or delete the file, the exact location is mentioned in the debug output file!
    this should be sufficent to beat the bsod - AND update your vm's and / or host windows. you should not use 17763.1 any longer! use 17763.107!

"ask" cortana - type in the search field - "winver" and hit enter - the opening box will tell you exactly which windows build you are actually running - check that in vm and host windows.

if you wanna get rid of the annoying bsod - this should be easy!

9. TheCollDude489

Apr 16, 2018
    Yes, I did disable sound in the VM. I didn't update to 17763.107 yet, but I plan to do so soon.

10. app_raiser

Mar 18, 2018
    meanwhile we have the 17763.134 as the actual build, my offline (wifi connected) pc keeps beeing unimpressed to the max.

i see it coming, when windows "sucks" updates abusing usb devices