Virus from Windows Update?!

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by emckai, Jul 2, 2010.

1. emckai

emckai MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2010
    When I have finished Windows Update, I restarted my computer then, when I went to Internet Explorer

I tried putting in Google.com
    When I did that, I got some kind of error, which I do not remember.

It would not let me go anywhere

I tried changing my homepage in, Internet Options, but I get this error.

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer.

This is a brand new custom built computer, and a clean windows xp.
    Anyone have an idea?
    Is it possible I didn't get the updates installed correctly?

2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Perhaps Microsoft is now sending virus through XP updates. One more reason to buy Windows 7!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

That's why I NEVER use Windows Update, Microsofts services can't be trusted.
    It's better to stay as far away from that as possible to avoid what you've just experienced.

Just out curiosity, which updates did you install?

4. emckai

emckai MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2010
    Every. Single. One. Available.

Hahaha

Anyways, I have Windows 7, but for some reason, I CANNOT get it working on my custom built PC.

It boots to the Windows 7 thingy xD, but the Language Window never shows up!!!

5. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I know what you mean about that, I have one machine at home and I can't even install Vista or Windows 7 on (it's from 2004)
    Every time I try all I get is an never ending reboot after "Windows is loading files"

The funny thing is that I have successfully installed Windows 7 on an 2003 HP D530 SFF and it have even crappier specs then the one I want to install it on.

But back to topic, I don't think it's neccesary to download every single Update there is to be safe because I have never downloaded anything from there and my computers work tip-top.
    Windows Update is way to overrated in my book.

6. emckai

emckai MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2010
    After two hours, I got everything working again :]

This time, I didn't install every single update.

The weird thing is.. This is a brand new computer o_o custom built that is..
    Well.. I guess I'll have to stick with XP..
    I need XP 64bit -_-

I have 4GB RAM, but its only using 3.5GB

7. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

If anyone wants an working computer then the best bet is to stay away from Windows Update.
    And it doesn't matter if the computer is brand new or 15 years old.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Iv'e never heard as much rubbish in my life, windows updates are released for a reason.

9. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

It may be rubbish to you, but I've never had any problems by not using Windows Update ever and I always turns off everything, this have actually saved much trouble for me because I don't consider Windows Updates to be important at all.

The things I write urie is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to one.
    And I want you to know that I respect your comment about it.

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #10 911medic, Jul 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
    Try to install firefox, best by usb if you cannot get the IE working. Then reinstall the IE 7 or 8. You can uninstall either before this. The problem is probably an update error to IE 7 or 8. I have had this problem once before, and an uninstall and reinstall of IE worked..

BTW...Installing updates is basically harmless if you do not have cracks/hacks involved. I would say be careful of the hardware updates from M$. Best to use driver updates from manufacturers if avail. I DO use the M$ updates for the drivers most times...'cause I am lazy and can fix most problems if they arise, I guess...:cool::rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. JaguarXJ12

JaguarXJ12 Guest

I might be talking against myself here when I'm saying I don't trust Microsoft enough with any of their Update services.
    I think they sometimes violates your personal integrity.

I don't say that I'm anti-update because I usually install the Service Packs when they're released and other usefull redists.

Sometimes Windows Update can do more harm then good.

12. emckai

emckai MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2010
    Well, I think it was around a couple years ago, Microsoft released a couple of windows update, drivers to be exact. If you download them, your display/mouse/keyboard will stop working.

13. kevalin

kevalin MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2010
    I stopped using Windows Updates when I suddenly couldn't get into any fullscreen games (and a couple of other rather important programs) without getting BSOD'd. I spent a couple of days removing all programs, then reinstalling them one by one, then testing them by trying to open a game in full screen, only to have the same problem over and over again. It was only when I finally had the hit not to install any Updates--upon reinstalling the OS for the third or fourth, or tenth time, mind you--that I could once again use my games in full screen mode.

I'm not talking about anything resource-intensive, either: with the exception of an abiding addiction to Need for Speed Underground 2, I'm pretty much the Monopoly/Yatzee type of games player. :eek:

Now, I just keep my various anti-virus/anti-spyware programs up to date (which were always loaded on the computer, even with the Updates)...and keep Windows Updates turned OFF. My computer, which is running Win7 x64 runs faster and much more smoothly, and I'm much less frustrated by sudden, post-Update-download issues.

I'm thinking that I won't be turning Window Updates back on anytime soon.