Vista 64 runnin extremely slow

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dragonfire665, Feb 25, 2009.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    @URIE

i kno what you mean which is why im using the retail version now, it does not come with SP1 but i dont mean downloadin it as i did and goin thru the process since any other is givin me headache.

Regarding the X86 for some reason they wont boot with CD-ROM only the X64 which im upset about that.

Regarding Spyware, well is a brand new HDD that has nothing in it, i kinda find it hard to have any spyware on it. But i do believe that the Vista Eternity that i was using does have some issues

PS: when the other problems occurred like the freezin it happened with my Retail Version of Vista Ultimate

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ dragonfire665 i take it it is downloaded version of x86 vista im allmost certain that you can get because you bought retail version of x64 contact MS and i think they will supply x86 version for free. forget vista sp1 at the moment don't you know someone you can copy from also you if you have downloaded SP1 it can be integrated with Vlite, but only integrate it don't start removing things. I was lucky enough myselfe to manage to download vista sp1 full MSDN versions a while back i only needed to turn them into dell OEM dvds. Also please look at your motherboard book as reguarding ram especially for x64 systems

3. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    Hey guys whats up, ok here is whats goin on lately. My installation to the new HDD has being done since friday, which everything needed and also crated a image backup with ACRONIS was done. i also got Acronis Disk management and i was able to merge HDDs together. I ran on all HDD Check Disk and all necessary stuff. Everything is running great so far. Instead of having 6GB of Ram im running 4GB (0+1) smooth so far no problem (it may not mean much but i got a 5.5 rating from windows)

ill keep you guys posted if anythin again happens.

5. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Life is Good

Dragon,

Thanks for posting back with your course of action/results; helps us all stay on top of issues and possible cures.

I guess you will know in a couple of weeks or so if the issue is gone for good. As long as you have the disk space, it's good to have an image backup of your clean install; keep it. You can create subsequent image backups after you add/remove/tweak your OS and revert to them if future issues occur (as well as making routine backups of browser favorites and other such things saved on the OS partition). If in the future all else fails, you can restore the image backup of the clean install.

Monk

6. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    hey guys quick update, since last time i have install Vista on the new HDD no problems yet, it still running just 4GB of RAM and all on the new HDD so so far is all good, i have installed all last programs and everything and (knock on wood) there is nothin wron goin on, runnin fantastic

7. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    And don't forget . . .

Image backups; routine backups; esoteric backups; tautological, repetitious, redundant backups. And, while you are at it, having taken the pains to reinstall and configure your new HDD, why not backup it up? :cool:

Monk

8. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    #48 drably, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
    i had the same problem with vista x64 all too many times, which is why i just ultimately went back with XP. i was using retail copies (w/ and w/o sp1) with a hardware bios mod - not a bootloader softmod (like so many people use). it didn't matter if i installed a bunch of software, or nothing except firefox, i would still encounter such problems. it might not start happening within the first 1-2 weeks, then again, it could start happening the first day.

beside the fact that randomly within a day, or a couple of hours, i would lose all functionality from within the start menu - meaning that i could click the start button, but after i clicked any other icon or menu it would just disappear (as if i chose to click the desktop instead)

also my network would randomly just stop working on any type of accelerated internet usage (torrents, other p2p apps, etc). even opening up firefox and clicking the refresh button really fast, would cause my network to collapse. the result would be vista would freeze up for an extended period of time, and if it even decided to come back to a functional state, my network would still be down - no matter what, and i would have to reboot - regardless. uncapping my tcpip did not fix the issue, nor tweaking my tcpip properties.

also this issue such as you speak of it becoming sluggish, or having to wait great periods of time before you can proceed to the next task was an issue as well - on random.

i investigated these issues before i gave up, and concluded: my ram was fine (8gb), my hard drives were fine, my drivers were fine, i had no software installed that was causing the issues, it also didn't matter if i applied any updates or not -- the problems always started to occur -- it is just bad programming from microsoft, vista is still buggy no matter what people say, alot of the drivers in vista are actually only "half" finished (go figure - even after all these years)

9. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Glad to hear everythings working well. So was it the hdd all this time that caused the problems?

10. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    Guys especially Vistadude and Monk, great NEWS (sarcasm big time) the problem came back yesterday. Im so piss off is not even funny

here how it started, i turned my computer on and i had some pictures on my desktop of my goddaughter, i decided to move them to my Picture Folder but for some reason it kept telling that the action could not be done cuz such files were still being use by another program, either try again or cancel, but i was confused i just turned the PC on there were no program running. So i kept trying until i gave up and restart my PC and there it was, the famous SLUGGISH

@drably, you are right bro

So i went to Safe Mode and it runs perfect there, i use System Restore and i restarted the computer normal to see if it took affect. But it took 3hrs and 15mins to actually boot up my computer (and yes i waited) durin the wait all i saw was a black screen with my mouse scroll. Then finally the bottom bar came up but half only with the time. When it finally started files and programs and folders and also HDD started to disappear as i clicked them. It was the same thing as before. It pissed me off

so i went back to Safe Mode and there was everything. This time i though of MONK and i opened up Acronis and tried to use my System Restore with the backups i made, especially the one i made on 3/17/09 (full back up) but to my luck this was what im getting

Failed to create the schedule task Error 1722-- "the RPC server is unavailable 0xfff0"

So yea that went no where, n i dont kno how to fix that so im very annoy, so guys any suggestions, and is not the HDD cuz is brand new and much better than the one i had before, is not my RAM, lets just say is the same way as DRABLY

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I take it you still have the old hardrive in a second drive and is that where your backups are is that not the drive you originally had bother with ?

12. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    well i do have the old HDD, i have 3 all together, my main HDD is where Vista is located along with a partitions for programs, the 2nd HDD is for games and downloads, and my 3rd HDD (which is the last one where Vista use to be) i use it only for limewire music and videos) but realize i have unplug the SATA cables to these HDD since yesterday and i kept only the main HDD where also the Backups where created to from the use of Acronis

13. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #53 HMonk, Mar 20, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You should make acronis boot cd and use that for recovery then you wont have any bother with Acronis Scheduler 2 Service e.c.t

15. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    damit MONK you do kno how make feel dumb lol (just kiddin) but anyhow once i get home ill take those steps within safemode cuz i cant use my Desktop since it takes so long and ill update on my progress

16. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    hey guys here is an update, for some reason i dont understand why, everything came back to normal, i just started the computer and everythin loaded like nothing ever happen, all HDD and programs and computer started like before fast and is running fast. But here is the thin remember when i said i lost some folders right in front of my eyes last nite due to this computer glintch, well i did lose them, there are 2 folders where i had useful stuff and it was on my second HDD and yesterday when this started i clicked on those folders and they disappeared right in front of my eyes and today guess what they still gone.

i tried doing a search and they still nowhere what can i do about that? my HDD still shows lose space use by these folders

17. THC-Mind

THC-Mind MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2008
    Check your SATA cabels.
    A friend of mine had a similar issue with speed and disapearing foldres.

18. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #58 HMonk, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
    Welcome to the Dragon Wing of MDL

Is it possible that you somehow hid those folders? Go to EXPLORER or MY COMPUTER>TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW> and scroll down to HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS. Tick the SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS radio button if it is not. Then click on the APPLY TO ALL FOLDERS button at the top of the window.

Also, are you running a network?

Monk

EDIT: Rather than assume, also make sure you uncheck the HIDE PROTECTED OPERATING SYSTEM FILES and check the DISPLAY THE CONTENTS OF SYSTEM FOLDERS boxes. One other thing, if by some fluke the folder appears, right-click it>PROPERTIES and see if the HIDDEN attribute is checked.

19. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    hey guys

@monk

Well i though of that and no they are not hidden so as far as i c they are lost but yet again still using the space required when they were available cuz my HDD still shows the same amount of memory left. Also yes i do have a network within my home

@THC-mind

i will check my cables and i will agree some wat wit you cuz sometimes some HDD will take time to be found n i will have to unplug the cables and replug them, and tats for everyone to also kno

20. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #60 HMonk, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
    Folder/File search

First off, what OS are you currently running? Just want to be sure because you had indicated that you were going to change back to x86.

For starters, I would do a routine search - either for the folder or any of the files in that folder. Secondly, if you open an app whose files are saved in that folder, can you navigate and find folder and open the files from within the app? For example, let's say you have MP3s stored in the missing folder. Open Winamp (or whatever you use) click on FILE>PLAY FOLDER. Do you see your missing folder? Do the same with a different app.

EDIT: Are you creating/storing folders/files in the ROOT\USERS subdirectory? Are your folders/files properly mapped on your network?

Monk