Vista and 7 in one disc

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mbg19, Sep 3, 2009.

1. TOMBO COMBO

TOMBO COMBO MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009

Couldnt you just make a winpe2.0 or 3.0 disk and throw both the installs into the ISO folder with 2 different folders for each version and run the setup.exe off the D: drive?

2. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    That will work If I read it correctly from what you are saying although I would highly recommend a dual layer DVD for doing that because Vista SP2 is over 4GB and Windows 7 is almost 4GB Windows PE adds about 100MB. To do it correctly it would require a Dual layer DVD and he would be able to enable a batch file to select what one he wants to launch. Basically he would need to do the following.

1) Create a batch file with selection from 1-2 on the options to install either Vista or Windows 7.
    2) Place the Entire DVD Folders into either Vista or Win7 folders, place these folders in the system 32 folder of the PE 3.0 disc (2.0 wont install 7).
    3) Have your bat go to either vista or win7 folders by using CD Vista or CD Win7 , follow by Setup.exe

Once again though this is very easy to do and can be made to look nicely / even look meant to be by using .net to make a GUI Selection screen cmdow.exe to hide the Startnet.cmd that is autorun (this is how you would run your batch file by adding the commands to the end of this file. a CLS after the commands will clear the screen and alloe you to see your pretty text.

3. mbg19

mbg19 MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Okay im working on this,Windows 7 AIK downloaded really slow but now im working on making the PE 3.0,my friend is gonna make me a nice program for selection when the PE boots up.would programs in C# or C++ work on PE?

4. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    It should, I went simple and used a cd menu creator for my recovery PE Disc. It required a few trys to find what DLL Files it needed.

5. mbg19

mbg19 MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    My friend made it in C++ and when PE booted up it showed this error.

X:\Windows\Myapp\Installation.exe (directory where i put the program)

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

6. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    Not sure then, its either a dll error or an actual error with the program.

CD_Menu_Pro_V6.23 worked fine after finding the DLL Files it was missing. Give it a go if your friend cant fix it / find the files it depends on.

7. mbg19

mbg19 MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    #27 mbg19, Sep 6, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
    (OP)
    The thing i need to know is what letter does PE give to the Disc drive?? so i can use that program you told me

8. TOMBO COMBO

Jul 31, 2009
    Just so you know
    x:\ (thats a ram drive created on start up)
    d:\ (thats you dvd drive)
    when you build your pe image, anything you put in the iso folder before you create the disk will be accessable as d: drive only, not x:\
    If you want a program to run on your x:\ ramdrive, it also helps to put .dlls in your system32 folder, then you can run them from x:\ command line

9. mbg19

mbg19 MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yeah i knew that X: was the ram drive PE created i just needed to know what was the letter for the Drive,Thanks a lot though! now im gonna make some more progress,making a PE image is annoying

10. TOMBO COMBO

Jul 31, 2009
    you can just command prompt manually to the setup.exe of each install and run it that way. It will just bypass the batch to select what you want anr run manually.

11. FireSokar

FireSokar MDL Member

May 1, 2009
    if you cant get your exe to work just modify the startnet.cmd and add batch code to navigate and launch the exe by pressing either 1 or 2, or even V for vista or 7 for 7, just depends on what you wanna do.