Vista install query

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by stonedagain, Oct 2, 2009.

1. stonedagain

stonedagain MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Hi,
    I own a Toshiba laptop which came with Vista home premium pre-installed. I have used a program called ABR to back up the product key & activation certificate in casr I need to re-install Vista. The product key is different to the one on the sticker on the bottom of my laptop, presumably it's the key which Toshiba use to activate Vista on multiple computers. Will I be able to install Vista on my home-built desktop PC & activati it using the unused product key from my laptop sticker?

2. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    windows vista uses two keys.one is for installation nd the other for activation.Foz example u can install vista trail edition for 30 days nd still if u use ABR u can see a product key....we call it the installation key.And the key below ur lappy is the one that converts the 30-day trial to a full retail version.So if ur lappy retailer gave u GENUINE vista u can use its key for 3 computers..............u can install another copy of vista on ur PC if that key u have is retail................well just try it

3. stonedagain

stonedagain MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a try!