Vista Junk Services

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tpastrana, Jul 4, 2009.

1. tpastrana

tpastrana MDL Novice

Jul 4, 2009
    Does anyone know how to permanently disable unnecessary services, like windows meadia sharing.....goes on. I went in to services.msc and clicked disable, it works, but somehow it always starts back up in processes. Im trying to remove all unnecessary junk from vista.

Wish vista was like wdws 7

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Media services will start automatically if something calls for it. Try this:

START>RUN>type services.msc

Locate and disable: Windows Media Center Extender Service, Windows Media Center Receiver Service, Windows Media Center Scheduler Service, Windows Media Center Service Launcher and any other services related to Media Center - everything with "launcher" or "launch" as part of the service. When finished close out. Then . . .

START>RUN>MSCONFIG>STARTUP tab and expand the columns so you can search for anything that has "ehome," i.e., "eh" in its path. For example, "ehTray.exe."

These startups are what enables WMC services after you disabled them.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Google and you will learn that the Net is saturated with services guides. These are helpful (as is knowing ahead of time what the service does and what component relies on it) but they are guides only, i.e., although there are some generalities, it is the configuration of one's machine that determines what services are needed. In my hands, trial and error is the final arbiter. Actually, trial and error always rules: disable something you need and your system will talk back at you. :eek:

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...