Vista OEM Partition: bootmgr as Kill-Disk alternative.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mr Jinje, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #1 Mr Jinje, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Had this thought in another thread, thought we shouldn't hijack.

We need someone with an OEM partition (preferably former Vista machine) that does not respond to GRLDR based installers. Basically the idea is to integrate a hacked bootmgr into your DVD and confirm that the hacked bootmgr is working (offline activation during DVD installation) without the need to Kill-Disk your OEM partition.

Any takers

Added bonus: If this works, DAZ will be forced to release version 1.7.2 with support for the feature, <ring bell> <ring bell> are you Fanboys salivating yet.

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #3 Mr Jinje, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
    (OP)
    Are you sure you thought that through all the way ?

What about people who want to test drive Windows 7 but are not sure they want to commit 100%. They could use this to Dual Boot Vista / Windows 7 and keep their recovery partiton and working Vista installation. (in case s**t Happens) It's all about options.

As for comments, you are always welcome on my threads, no one will give you static here. Except for me of course. :D

4. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    In a dual boot it would be a little more difficult, possible but requires allot more work. With that said though you can run Windows 7 without activation for a good length of time, so by the time your rearm count is up you could then decide on what you want to do.

Personally if I had an OEM partition and wanted to dual boot I would backup the contents of my Vista drive, backup activation via one of the tools I suggested and then format the whole drive via Active@ KillDisk. Next up I would then install both Vista and Windows 7, get them both activated and err... enjoy? :p

I'm all for options to get around this issue but I personally prefer the GRLDR approach on a clean setup as theres less chance of it getting zapped by MS at some point. Plus the modded bootmgr only applies to specific machines where as the GRLDR can do both providing the user does the cleanup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    This is why I develop solutions such as RemoveWAT. There are no special requirements like this, and it is much more flexible than a loader.

6. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Oh no, none of that here, this thread is only for people with 100 rep or higher. SORRY HAZAR. :(

7. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    Goddamit rep me for great justice

8. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Actually it would be 1000% easier. Obviously bootmgr can work directly with OEM partitions untouched otherwise Retail DVD installations would fail, but GRLDR cannot handle OEM partitions at all. How am I the only person who sees this.

9. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Rep is still broken. Anyone else getting this error ?

Attached Files:

• rep.png
      rep.png
      File size:
      7.6 KB
      Views:
  10. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    @ Mr Jinje
    I mean it would still be possible via GRLDR, but I do see what you mean. OEM partition being there should mean 2.0 SLIC is present, aka requirement of the modded bootmgr.

It's just not something I can see myself supporting when the user could clean up and save space in the process too. Even MS recommend a fresh full installation over an upgrade :p

11. Hazar

Hazar MDL Guru

Jul 29, 2009
    As for rep, because yours is so high youre probably hitting the limit when you giveit to people, because as you said the more you have the more you give