Vista problems with boot

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dominicoo, Apr 6, 2009.

1. dominicoo

dominicoo MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2009
    Ok I have been using Microsoft.Windows.Vista.ULTIMATE.x64.SP1.Integrated.November.2008.OEM.DVD-BIE for several months and have had ABSOLUTELY no problems whatsoever with this release.

I recently purchased a 1TB hard drive because my last one crapped out. When I went to install vista on this new drive, I'm having problems. Nothing is wrong with my new drive because I ran all tests on it and nothing came back with a problem.

Here is the problem: Vista installs fine and everything seems to works great. Vista boots to the desktop for the first time and the BIE release automatically reboots your computer after 2 minutes (I believe to activate vista so it stays activated). This is normal because I've installed vista with this DVD hundreds of times. When the PC goes to reboot, it never boots back to the desktop again! I am getting the below message right when Vista should boot
    ----------------------
    cpi
    vista loader 2.1.2

done!
    fallback 1
    find--set-root /bootmgr

error 17:file not found
    booting windows nt/2000/xp

fallback 2
    find--set-root /ntldr

error 17:file not found
    -----------------------

The only thing I can think of that is different this time around is that I partitioned this new drive because its so big. I want to have a 100GB partition and a 900GB partition. I did this during vista setup and when it booted to the desktop to the first time, I checked My Computer and both partitions were there and everything seemed fine. Then when it reboots to activate the crack, something is screwing it up. I dont know much about this stuff but I googled around and it seems to me that its a problem with the partition. Can anyone pleaseeee help.

I tried to reformat again and install WITHOUT a partition but I got the same error when it rebooted after applying the patch.

I've read that I need to boot from the Vista DVD and go to Repair and then command prompt and then type in "bootrec /fixboot". This fixes everything and Vista boots but without the patch I think because then it says that Vista has 29 days left to try!!

Is there anyway to have My 1TB drive partitioned (C) 100GB (D) 900GB and get this Vista to boot properly????

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    probably nothing to do with your hard drive i bet MS has disabled the patch.

3. dominicoo

dominicoo MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2009
    It has nothing to do with MS disabling the patch. It worked fine 3 days ago on my old drive. The new drive I installed vista on didnt even get an internet connection as it only booted to the desktop ONCE for 3 minutes.

4. dominicoo

dominicoo MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2009
    Has anyone successfully activated Vista on a drive that is partitioned to separate the OS from personal files??

If so, did you use MSDN vista, an iso that comes with a bundled crack (BIE, NOPE)?

If you used the MSDN vista iso, how did you patch Vista 64 + SP1?

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    What do you mean by personal files? i have 3 hard drives 1st has 3 partitions 2nd 2 partitions and 3rd is single drive. do you mean documents and settings ?

on other machines i also have separate drives and partitions iv'e never had any problem activating vista and two machines have modded bioses. i also use MSDN vista sp1 x64 iso and MSDN vista sp1 x86 iso which i have turned into OEM dvd's i would never use a modded dvd from the internet.

6. dominicoo

dominicoo MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2009
    Well I have a 1TB drive. I want to have two partitions: (C) with 100GB for Vista (D) 900 GB for all my crap (mp3s, movies, etc)

I used to use the BIE release of Vista that has the automatic vista activation and that used to worked fine when my drive WASNT partitioned. When I decided to partition my C drive BEFORE installing vista with the BIE release, the patch started to create some errors that prevented me from booting to vista (see above error).

My ultimate goal is to have a bootleg vista installed on my (C) partition (100gb) and have a second partition (d) with 900gb for my crap. It also has to be able to be patched/activated/hacked/etc. Is it ok to use the MSDN Vista x64 iso and then patch it manually?? I've read I should use Vista Loader 2.1.3?? I'm so new to these bootloader stuff. I built my PC myself (not a Dell, Asus, et). Does this effect anything because I keep reading about people modding their BIOS. Does this apply to me??

Also where can I get a clean, virus-free Vista Loader 2.1.3

7. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The Loader probably doesn't have a virus. It is just acting like the loaders do..

They are hit and miss, and may fail without warning or when you add programs, processes, or services. If this is your most comfortable option, then good luck..:D:D

You should run the clean OS for a while and be sure it is going well. At this point you can make a decision as to how you will activate..;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    #8 HSChronic, Apr 8, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
    Its the loader, like 911 medic said some ones work on some boards others do not. Your best bet is to mod the BIOS then you don't have to worry about a loader. Try using WOW as a loader if you don't want to mod the BIOS. If those don't work then buy the product. Also don't use integrated or modded DVDs, they will only screw your computer in the end. Your best bet is to buy the product. A copy of Vista Ultimate is around $132 USD, or a Technet subscription is around $300. Now if you say "Well I don't have any money", well you can always download CBTs to educate yourself and get a job to afford buying licenses for products. VOATK tools work great for cleaning out loaders and other crap too.

9. dominicoo

dominicoo MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2009
    where can I get Vista Loader 2.1.3? WoW? which is better? which hack does the BIE release use?

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    WOW is on sticky in first main Vista thread there is also a new vista loader posted on main thread also do a search for VOATK tools to remove your existing loaders e.c.t. either that request a bios mod in correct thread and get a clean MSDN copy of vista.