Vista SP2 : Thumbnails dont display, wallpaper is solid black

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Question, May 29, 2010.

1. Question

Question MDL Novice

May 29, 2010
    Out of a blue, my desktop wallpaper dissapears and is replaced by solid black.

Thumbnails also stopped displaying(but the files themselves open fine).

Mousing over items on the taskbar no longer causes the thumbnail window to open and show the program i am mousing over. All i get is text telling me the name of the program i am mousing over. Edit : I went into the registry and set DWM's composition and composition policy to 1/2 respectively. I can now preview the task bar items but NOT files/folders in windows explorer.

When i try to change my desktop wallpaper, this is what it looks like : yfrog.com/0fdesktoppzj. Selecting a file to set as wallpaper and clicking "okay" doesnt do anything, the wallpaper remains solid black.

When i open up windows explorer which is set to "large icons", this is what it looks like : yfrog.com/jnthumbnailsej. Thumbnails only show up if i switch to another setting(e.g. list, small icons), then switch back to large icons.

I have windows visual settings set to "let windows choose what is best" and i do not have "show icons only, no thumbnails" checked.

Any ideas?

Event viewer shows : The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0xc00002fe)

2. rupsd

rupsd MDL Senior Member

May 27, 2010
    Hey upgrade to win 7.Life would be much easier for you

3. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Looks like malware.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Question

Question MDL Novice

May 29, 2010
    Ive ran scans with kaspersky, fixed everything i could find, but the problem still remains. How do i fix it?

5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Try this:
    Open command prompt as administrator
    Type " sfc scannow" hit enter

Let the scan run, it will check for corrupted system files and repair them at reboot.

If this doesnt work id suggest using Malware-bytes to check for any nasties that Kapersky hasnt picked up. Hope this helps you out. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Question

Question MDL Novice

May 29, 2010
    Didnt work :(

7. Question

Question MDL Novice

May 29, 2010
    bump....................

8. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Are you using any vodeo codecs ?