Vista System Junk Cleaner

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by admin, Aug 31, 2007.

1. admin

admin Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 24, 2007
    #1 admin, Aug 31, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2007

Attached Files:

2. Rudi1

Rudi1 MDL Member

May 30, 2007
    I'am search for a tool like this one.I run your script and find a lot of junk in my system!It's the tool which one all vista users must have!
    Thank you for your work admin on this script!;)

3. tensor

tensor MDL Novice

May 1, 2007
    #3 tensor, Aug 31, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    thanks admin !

I used a simpler one as a logon script to clear out my temp dirs on each startup,
    i combined it with a few of these to make this:

Code:
    del %temp%\. /f/s/q
    rd /s/q %temp%\

del %tmp%\. /f/s/q
    rd /s/q %tmp%\

del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.dmp

del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.tmp
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*._mp
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.log
    del /f /s /q %systemdrive%\*.old

I would recommend adding the .dmp to yours. As i run this on each login i don't want it to erase my cookies for instance. Which others are safe to be deleted (i DONT need the space rite now, i just HATE the clutter of tmp files)

4. fred64

fred64 MDL Junior Member

May 2, 2007
    I have tried the Vista junk cleaner this was great except for one problem.
    M$ in their wisdow have made some essential Office files as .tmp and located in:
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp
    when these are deleted Office has to re install for the user. Some system junk cleaners do the same thing but JV16 gives you the opportunity to not delete them

Can anything be done about this ti further improve your useful tool?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tensor

tensor MDL Novice

May 1, 2007
    Fred64: you must have done something wrong with your installation of Office, That script i posted i gave to a friend, and he owns a pc maintenance service, and regularly runs it in all of his customer's computers.

The error you report is the first of this kind that i know of. M$ created the %temp% path and env variable at least in windows 3.1, so there is no way they would actively use that path for anything that needs to remain there.

6. jogold

jogold MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2007
    Nice

Thanks,
    I took away the cls at the end so that I have the option of reviewing what was deleted and what was locked.
    Why would I want to see this? Who knows.
    jo

7. boppo

boppo MDL Novice

Dec 22, 2007
    I read it's not a good idea to delete prefetch contents, this will slow down your sytem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Barney Bear

Barney Bear MDL Novice

May 28, 2007
    Thanks Admin

Regards
    BB

9. sherrolyn

sherrolyn MDL Novice

Jan 7, 2008
    #9 sherrolyn, Jan 7, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
    vista help

I am running vista home premium and my nvidia PCI system mgmt has no drivers installed?? Any help would really be appreciated

10. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008
  11. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    can you explain this more?...where are you getting this information from and what might it have to do with cleaning out temp files and such?....what is your motherboard type and have you installed your chipset drivers?..maybe post a snapshot of what your seeing?...yellow exclamation in Device Manager or what?

12. sls-sls

sls-sls MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2008
    perfect :eek: You have just saved me about 927 MB on my C drive :D
    Excellent Excellent Excellent ;)

13. torned

torned MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2008
    Good work ! thx ! :)

14. TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL MDL Novice

Mar 23, 2008
    #14 TheShadowFL, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
    XPCleanup.bat

Some long time ago, I re-wrote my Windows 98 cleanup batch file (Hoover.bat) to accommodate the increased number of folders where XP keeps it's junk. (XPCleanup.bat , , available for download from my website)

It uses the old pre-XP dos command file "Deltree.exe" to get files that may not be deleted by 'del'.
    Anyway, I recently ran it on Vista and found it does a pretty darn'd good job of cleaning up all the junk in the standard windows folders.
    Yes, it also deletes the 'Prefetch' folder contents and DOES NOT slow down windows.

For years, I've put a shortcut to my cleanup batch files in the "\Program Files\Startup" folder to give my customers a FREE Cleanup on every system boot.
    It's like FREE Maid Service.:)
    My computer and those of my hundreds of customers just NEVER get loaded with garbage files.
    Running "Disk Cleanup" and "Defrag" on a regular basis is all that's needed to keep a PC running clean and efficient.

The nice thing about a batch file and not an .exe file is that it can be edited by the user to suit their own needs.
    My personal version, also includes the WGA files and the Quarantine folder for my AV program. I've also included the 'cache' folder for Mozilla Firefox.

I also use a program called "MRU Blaster" to clean out MRU's on each boot.
    It too runs silently from my Startup folder.

I ALSO run a little script in my Startup folder to make a fresh Restore Point on every boot.(windows XP)
    I don't trust Windows to do that for me. I've worked on too many PC's where the last restore point was two weeks old.
    I've not been able to get that script to run for me on Vista. :(
    I get a 'Permissions' error when I try to run it.
    I posted that problem on several forums, but no-one was able to give me a fix for it. (maybe someone here?)

Cheers mates!
    The Shadow :cool:

15. digitol

digitol MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2008
    thanks Ad ...newguy here just saying this was worth twice the admission...wait i didnt pay an admission! Now im feeling guilty. Ill go now .....Thanks

16. nnq2603

nnq2603 MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2008
    Must to say it's simply but good. It get back about >2GB easily while I read almost tut/tip in MyDigital portal and manualy remove only get back also 2GB (I've been removed shadow copies, systemRes, PageFiles, unusedfiles, temp, ect ... and think maybe remain junks stuff about <50MB, but it take back 2GB for me, god :D, total about 4-5GB saved). It automatic done anything for you in least time amount. Thanks :D

17. hollywood

hollywood MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2008
    You Have No Ideal!!!

OMG!! I am considered by many as a Computer Geek and have spent the last few hours trying to figure out where I lost over 100GB of Hard drive space. I have been going through hidden folders and al that crap... but vista is a bit different than it predecesors!!!

The bat program is still running after about 20 mins and I have gone from about 500MB free to well over 130GB and it is still cleaning!!

Now I just have to find the reason this happend!!!

THANKS!! GREAT BATCH!!!

18. klforg

klforg MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2008
    Batch file - Access Denied

When I run this bat - and as I view the running commands - I see where access is denied; whats up?

19. infernoplex

infernoplex MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2008
    this batch freed up around 7 gigs

thanks a ton admin