VMware and digital license

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by istighfar, Apr 18, 2020.

1. istighfar

istighfar MDL Junior Member

Apr 18, 2020
    #1 istighfar, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Hi,

i used VMWare to install win10 pro and i got digital license on it and when i removed the installation to do new fresh installation of win10 pro, it got activated automatically.

it seems that MS uses the digital license on VMWare to activate win10 pro everytime a fresh installation is performed thtough vmware.

The problem is that i don't want the activation to be done automatically evrtime i perform a new installation on win10 pro on vmware.

So how can i prevent the automatic installation from happening every new frsh install on vmware ?
    To be clear, how can i prevent the digital license from being used on vmware using internet ?

2. chillgates

chillgates MDL Senior Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Digital license is generated by reading your hardware, not your os in vmware. You can change your hardware like mother board or hdd to avoid auto-licensing on vmware.

3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Happening to me for over a few years now, once established it always gets activated by the HWID, no matter what i change.

Keep the vm offline till you entered a gvlk is for me the only way to prevent hwid activation or install Pro from the business ISO, then the gvlk is pre-inserted and it won't be hwid activated..

4. istighfar

Apr 18, 2020
    yes i know that, my question was how can we change hardware on VMWare but i just found the solution.

I gave it here for those who ask themselves the same question :

It's very simple, you just create a new virtual machine then before running the VM with the os, you select the VM, right click then you selct "manage" then "change hardware compatibility" then you choose another worksation rather than 15, you can choose for example 14 then you run VM with the os for the installation and at the end you will notice that your win10 will not activated automatically so this method will prevent the digital license from being used. :)

5. chillgates

chillgates MDL Senior Member

Dec 15, 2010
    hmm , not worried if my win10 on vm will auto license or not because i just test vm for 1 or 2 days and then remove.

6. istighfar

Apr 18, 2020
    You dont't seem to unserstand what i want to do. i explained in the first post that i didn't want the digital license from being used when using the net.
    To be clear, i don"t want the digital license from being used AT ALL. I gave the solution above.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Install Pro from the business ISO, it doesn't get HWID activated ever is another easy to do solution.

8. istighfar

Apr 18, 2020
    Yes but again that's not what i try to achieve.
    When installing the iso pro from business, you will get back the activation with digital license by entering any win10 pro key and i don't want this to happen because i want to check the validity of certain keys and when the digital license is active, you can't check the validity of the keys.
    That's why i specified in the first post that i didn't want the digital license to be used at all.
    I hope that it's clear now.
    The solution is simple to do that, i just found out, you just need to select "change hardware compatibility", i gave more details about this in my previous post.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Changed the hardware compat to v12 on the installed vm and still hwid activated.

May i ask why it's annoying you, it annoyed me when we were testing the early development of the hwid on the fly tools, but now they are confirmed working for 3+ years, i never bothered about it.

10. istighfar

Apr 18, 2020
    That's strange, i don't know why it didn' work for you but for me it worked.
    Did you follow the exact procedure i described :

By doing this, the digital license was not used for the activation and win10 was not activated automatically.

I told you, preventing the digital license from being used is important for me because with the digital license being active, i won't be able to check the validity of the keys.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    yes, the v14 test, on the v12 test i just changed it on the installed vm, will re-install asap.
    Doesn't using a windows (10) key change into a hwid anyway?

12. istighfar

Apr 18, 2020
    Okay, let me know of the result.

i didn't test that case but it shoudn't change into hwid again.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    @istighfar i totally forgot the running VM, installed a fresh Pro on a VM with v12 compat set and still gets the hwid by default.

15. istighfar

Apr 18, 2020
    i forgot to mention 2 options to select before reunning the VM with the os, you need to clean the disk before to create a new virtual machine by selecting the os installed , right click then "manage" then "clean up disks" (the os has to be shut down) then when selecting "change hardware compatibility", you need to choose the option "Alter this virtual machine" then select v12 and continue.

But all this won't change anything since you just enter any win10 pro key to get the activation back with digital license so my problem is not solved in the end. You made a good point about that.
    So i am right back to where i started.
    I am still waiting a solution to prevent the digital license from being used after a fresh install on VMware.

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It was discussed a long time ago, the changing of the uuid and ethernet should work, but not in my tests, even after a clean install of the host.

All my tests are done on freshly created VMs, cleanup disk space is ran frequently on the VMs.

17. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. istighfar

Apr 18, 2020