VMWare bios

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by ImaT, Aug 26, 2009.

1. ImaT

ImaT MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    i feel stupid but i remember them was a way the the vm can read the bios info off the host. i remember adding a line to some file but can't remember

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Add SMBIOS.reflectHost = TRUE to your vmx file.

Enabling the Physical Hardware's OEM ID to Be Seen by the Virtual Machine

Each virtual machine is automatically assigned an Original Equipment Manufacturer ID (OEMID), comprising the Manufacturer and Product Name, which is stored in the SMBIOS system information descriptor. It can be accessed by standard SMBIOS scanning software and used for systems management in the same way you use the OEMID of a physical computer.

By default, the Manufacturer string is "VMware, Inc." and the Product Name string is "VMware Virtual Platform".

If the virtual machine's configuration file has the option

SMBIOS.reflectHost = TRUE

then the Manufacturer and Product Name strings in the virtual machine are the same as the Manufacturer and Product Name of the host system.

These strings are updated (copied from the host BIOS to the virtual machine BIOS) on every virtual machine BIOS POST (Power On Self Test).

3. ImaT

ImaT MDL Junior Member

Oct 23, 2008
    #3 ImaT, Aug 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
    (OP)
    thank you. worked great
    is the a guide on modding the bios for a 2.1 slic
    using vmware 6.5.3.8888 x64

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Think it is just for modding slic 2.0 but it should work just the same for slic 2.1