VMware modded BIOS

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by Loki1973, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Loki1973

Loki1973 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2009
    #1 Loki1973, Aug 10, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
    Thanks for this fantastic forum!!!

I found modded BIOS's for all of my systems here, but the final "machine" I want to work with SLIC 2.1 is my VMware ESX Server to have the 2.1 SLIC. I know there has been a (Binbin) BIOS around somewhere but that one doesn't work with Version 7 VM's and only has the 2.0 SLIC.

In the past (for Vista and W2K8) I've used the tutorial to put in the _ASUS_Notebook SLIC 2.0 which worked like a charm. I used the most recent BIOS included in VMware Workstation 6.5.

It seems however, that this tut doesn't work anymore for SLIC 2.1.

I would like to try and mod this BIOS myself, but if someone could put me in the right direction that would be great.

What I've done so far:

• I've used the instructions in the tutorial and modified the SLIC to match "DELL " and "M09 "
    • I've copied the DELL.BIN to the TEMP folder of the Phoenix BIOS editor.
    • I've modified the ROM.SCR
    • I modified a DMI string (replaced "VMware Inc." to "VMware Inc"
    • I have built the BIOS
    • I put in the "bios440.filename" option, and I CAN see SLIC inside ACPI when I run RW-Everything. The original BIOS doesn't show that tab.
    • I have installed both the OEM key and the DELL cert.

It still says "28 days to activate" :mad:

I know there is a Phoenix topic on this forum, but it is closed, so that's why I'm posting it here.

Hope someone is able to help me out here.

Thanks a million.

2. garnichda

garnichda MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    i have downloaded it for a while and store it on my hdd. i think someone has extracted the rom file from vmware workstation and did it with phoenix bios editor pro.

3. Loki1973

Loki1973 MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2009
    Ah, ok, so you haven't done it yourself. :) No worries, and thanks again.

4. sr71

sr71 MDL Junior Member

May 9, 2008
    Thank you. The file also works with VMWare Fusion 4.1.2 on Mac OSX. I could activate WIndows 7 x64 without any problem.

5. Corporal

Corporal MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2012
    virtual box is better