VMWare Workstation 10: No internet on guest on NAT Settings

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by chukwe, Dec 2, 2013.

1. chukwe

chukwe MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    I've a Lenovo W520 running Windows 7 Ultimate X64. I've VMWare Workstation 10 installed as I use it for my SharePoint Development. I've several images ranging from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows 2012 R2.

The problem is that almost 95% of the time, there is no internet on the guest. Sometimes it come & goes, most times none. I always use the default network "NAT".

How can I fix this issue?

Thanks

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    "VMWare Bridge Protocol" installed on the host network adapter ?

3. trungpt

trungpt MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2009
    I think you should search and ask the official vmware community.

I don't know why but in my case, my firewall has to allow all vmware services to run and connect to the network. There are about 5 services of vmware running in background: vmware dhcp service, vmware nat service, ... :D

Hope this helps :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. jumpup

jumpup MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2013
    Ah, my first post! :)

Back to the question: I had this exact same issue with a fresh install of VMW 10.0.1. At the time, I was connected with wifi on a laptop. I could not get the NAT to pass through an address. @MrMagic is right: check to see if you have the VMWare Bridge Protocol installed with whatever NIC is supplying your network connection. It is the same process if you were adding/removing IPv4 or IPv6. However, instead of a Protocol, select Install->Service
    , and you should see it. .

These screenshots were taken from a Windows 8.1 session

bridge1.jpg bridge2.jpg bridge3.jpg

5. warpdrive

warpdrive MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2014
    I went into Settings of the VM, selected Network Adapter and went into Advanced and reset the MAC Address. Then I removed the network adapter and while the settings window is open, I re-added another adapter and applied it.

Got my internet back finally on the guest VM!!!

6. james071

james071 MDL Novice

Jul 6, 2014
    tell me more about your setup. are you having a domain controller? did you install vmware tools on each guest ?