VMware Workstation 8.0.0 Final (build-471780) is out (plus a modded 339 BIOS for x64)

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by fastleo63, Sep 14, 2011.

1. odiea

odiea MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    sebus Any chance you could create a hp version of this. I tried it with the Dell version and Windows 8 loads ok. I am getting the hal_initialization error with the modded 315 bios. I have a x86 vmware 8 version.
    Thanks odiea

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If you only need SLIC 2.1 then use Andy's PhoenixTool, it works perfectly fine with VM BIOS

sebus

3. odiea

odiea MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #23 odiea, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    Thanks, I added slic 2.1 and all is working but Andys tool will not let me add slp. I downloaded the phoenix tool but cant figure out how to add slp to the bios. I have tried to install slp with
    VMware_Bios_Select_x32-64bit and slp worked for hp but the hal_initialization error on windows 8 showed again. So it appears the placement of slp in the bios is causing my problems.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  5. odiea

odiea MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    This is what is currently installed by the changer.
    Windows XP OEMBIOS Test v1.1/249/99 (C) 2007-2009 severach @ msfn forums
    F:Hewlett-Packard OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=00A1EECB
    F:Hewlett-Packard OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=3BA155E1
    F:HP & Compaq OEMBIOS.CAT CRC=CD4E1902
    These Royalty OEM install CD's should preactivate (SLP) on your system.
    Lines starting with E: are not reliably detected when running under Windows
    Press Enter!
    Thanks for all your help

6. nori2nori

nori2nori MDL Novice

May 26, 2008
    #26 nori2nori, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    Does anyone have a RW file of VMware 8.0 BIOS environment for using on a phoenix tool? Sorry for my lazy thinking...

And also I can't embed a SLP1.0 marker into a VMware 8.0 BIOS when I use a phoenix tool ("SLP File" selection is disabled). Does any one know how to embed SLP1.0 marker into a VMware BIOS by using a phoenix tool?

BIOS.PNG

7. sendoh

sendoh MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    I import the Vmware 8.0 RW file, but SLP field still gray out as your picture.

8. skmsks

skmsks MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2009
    #28 skmsks, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    For those want to ad HP SLP 1.0 in vmwar bios, Pheonix Bios Editor suffice to edit DMI info (were string location are sufficient for HP-Compaq SLP).

See this wonderfull octobre 2007 post by Pajero (see later addition by Yan) :
    Code:
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/525-Request-thread-to-insert-SLP1.0-into-BIOS/page4?p=10462&viewfull=1#post10462
    (sorry, can't post even internal MDL link because only have 2 posts)

Most stuff done with very usefull toolls by andy, seerchgine, etc, were before done as manual stuff, later subsumed in do-it-all solutions.
    Instructions to do it ourself still exist on MyDigitalLife, hiden in threads long forgot, but still accessible to search, like the one above.
    To bad this stuff is not preserved in dedicated for easyer access (centralised repository of important basic information), but at leeast still there for us to find & learn, rather than beg & wait & wait.

VMware_Bios_Select is wonderfull tool for those wanting fast-&-no-question-asked.
    But it is also good (even necessary) for the basic information to be there, in case "show-runners" get bored.

Thanks to all,
    for alone we are small.

P.S.: Have no idea why andyp pheonix tool can't edit phenix slp, greyed out; those in the know could answer directly, I hope.
    At least, for now, we have above Pajero instructions.

9. nori2nori

nori2nori MDL Novice

May 26, 2008
    @skmsks

I appreciate to your advice regarding how to implement SLP1.0 to DMI info in a BIOS by using Pheonix Bios Editor . And also, VMware_Bios_Select is great tool.

Let's aim for 20 posts together!:biggrin:

10. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #30 sebus, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
    Andy tool CAN allow manual mod of the modules during its run to insert SLP to Vmware BIOS - Phoenix BIOS (Virtual)
    It does not do it as one click solution, hence the user needs to know what they are doing (BIOSCOD2.ROM, knowing the exact location from hwdirect)

sebus

11. skmsks

skmsks MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2009
    #31 skmsks, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    So, if i understand well sebus, it like in Pajero/Yen "Advanced course" in my link above:
    • use andy tool, it produces a TEMP folder
    • modify the BIOSCOD2.ROM manually with hex editor
    • after andy tool has put SLIC 2.1 (optionnaly), andy tool will reconstruct the bios update.
    or
    • use pheonix bios editor to put hp (or others) dmi strings in vmwar bios update, then let it rebuild bios update.
    • use andy tool to put slic 2.1 in slp-modified bios update (optionaly)
    Of course, as you said, knowing *where* to *manually* put string(s) into BIOSCOD2.ROM with hex editor requires the knowledge (for general pheonix bios).

There was interesting sub-conversation in thread one year ago:
    Code:
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/13194-Tool-to-Insert-Replace-SLIC-in-Phoenix-Insyde-Dell-EFI-BIOSes/page99?p=309181&viewfull=1#post309181
    whereh you encountered problems with dual method (andytool + manual (or PBE) for slp), but seems the "sub-conversation" stopped when andy told you "check your mail" (post #1009 of thread).

Anyway, v. 1.51 seem to fix problem.
    From andyp tool Changelog :

12. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And I cannot remember what was in this PM (and did not keep it, how stupid?)

But in current 1.65 select module & advanced/allow user modification of modules

Then when asked adjust BIOSCOD2.ROM with SLP string using hex editor ie HxD & let tool finish

To know where the string needs to go, boot any windows vm that you can run hwdirect on (I use WinPE iso boot as it is quicker) & find where the string needs to go

ie f000,e076,0010,Dell System

Make a note of the bytes before it (screen capture?), so you can then find the same location in BIOSCOD2.ROM

sebus

13. nori2nori

nori2nori MDL Novice

May 26, 2008
    @sebus

Thank you so much for providing a RW file which I needed. Sorry for my lazy thinking. I understand that I should make it by myself.

And also, I was able to deeply understand regarding SLP1.0 implementation by using Andy tool.

Many thanks.