VMware Workstation (Multi-Brand) Bios Installer

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by searchengine, Oct 21, 2009.

1. searchengine

searchengine Guest

amires ...

good to hear you activated OK in vm v7 with x64bit :)

NiteCrew ...

The IDE/SCSI glitch is not uncommon in vmware .... but the bios patching has nothing to do with that ... that's just an old settings glitch from vm that apparently still exists in v7.... a random fault, but can raise it's ugly head from time to time.

Glad it's running OK for ya now tho ;)

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007

That is wierd because obviously you ain't using a clean windows 7 dvd also please remember it is a virtual machine drivers don't work you need to test on real hardware.VMware or virtual machine use for test installes software e.c.t but don't ever think your drivers will work :)

3. NiteCrew

NiteCrew MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2009
    I forgot to mention. I try to install Windows 7 64-Bit version as guest. It was a clean ISO. i downloaded from Technet.

4. AncientOne

AncientOne MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Maybe it's just me, but as someone mentioned, you may have different applications that requires the "original" bios. Wouldn't it work better if you can have a list of bios as per your application but "PATCH" the VMX file since the VMX file can specify a alternate bios ? I would think that would be safer, able to work with different versions, and more flexible...

5. searchengine

searchengine Guest

@AncientOne ...

To patch the vmx config file\s located in User\Documents\Virtual Machine\ .... then subfolder or multiple subfolders "specifically named by user when machine\s created" each containing a vmx config file and requiring edit and rom file copied to each location across all platforms XP; Vista; and Win7 x32 and 64bit ..... that's laiden with minefields.

The patch would be required to guess folder names created by user ... and in the case of Vista and Win7 takeownership and admin rights to gain access to edit in or copy to "USER" folders.

Early tests, taking ownership and using admin rights on one file (vmware-vme.exe), caused vmware to have a fit and not allow use of machine.

Patching the brain "vmware-vmx.exe" ... although not easy, is by far the easiest, and safest way to apply bios mod.

As far as versions are concerned, I do not know of a version, (from v6.0.2 thru to v7) so far, that has not been successfully patched in both 32 and 64bit across all platforms. I am also unaware of any blue screens of death.

Selecting 00 returns vmware to default bios.

6. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    #86 highspeedmac, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
    Just so you know, I have been using your patcher quite a lot over the last couple of days.

I have used it mainly for the last day or 2 in Vmware 7, I can report that on my PC it has caused no errors. It never fails to Patch and un-patch, and so far has caused no file corruption.

Also I have a friend who has been using it with the older Version 6.5.2, he has the same result as me. No errors.. He is using it under 32 bit Vista..

For anyone worrying about file corruption, the simple solution is to create a Backup copy of the "VMware-vmx.exe", Store it in another folder for safe keeping.. That way if by any chance corruption does occur, you'll have a backup of your original..

For me so far, your patcher has been a solid tool. I'm happy with the fact, that you made it a very simple process and that your patcher does not do a whole bunch of stuff, just to work....:cool:

7. searchengine

searchengine Guest

@highspeedmac ...

yep ... I am running Win7 Ultimate 32 bit o/s and have had no issues using the patcher (on various vm versions) ..... the early issues were x64bit bit related, admin rights, file paths and 64bit vmware-vmx.exe patching problems due to CRC check failures ... but with your testing and feedback, we overcame those early issues.

Like you say, folks can copy their original before running the patcher, for peace of mind.

I have plans for the installer to auto-backup original vmware-vmx.exe on 1st occassion it is run, but waiting till I get some more slic 2.1's to add to menu, and will then update the main link. :)

8. dolivn

dolivn MDL Novice

Oct 8, 2009
    Thanks a lot !

9. DHD

DHD MDL Novice

Oct 24, 2008
    Very useful tool. Thankyou!

10. searchengine

searchengine Guest

@dolivn & DHD .... you are very welcome :)

11. breeza

breeza MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2009
    #91 breeza, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
    I have exactly the same issue. If I use the Dell slic Windows7 x64 will install fine using the standard VMWare settings however if I use the HP slic it fails with the disk config error and I have to change the VHD to IDE to get it to work. I would not advise using IDE as I found the 7 install took much longet than when in SCSI mode.

Strange indeed..

Could it be that the Dell slic is smaller than the hp slic and the hp slic is overwriting some required part of the bios?

12. searchengine

searchengine Guest

@breeza...

You most likely have a partially uninstalled earlier version, with v7 installed on top resulting in a mix of old and new config folders; vm drivers; and registry entries....resulting in "frankenbuild" version of vmware.

13. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009

I switch from Dell,HP,Acer and many others and then back with no errors.. 1.0 Slic's or 2.1 Slic's, x32 OS or x64 OS, it doesn't matter...

Never once have i had to touch the drive settings..

14. AncientOne

AncientOne MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    Sorry, I do appreciate your work, but it's not difficult to keep ALL the BIOS in one folder and then allow the user to browse and to select the VMX file that they want to edit and automatically patch the VMX.

15. catimimi

catimimi MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2007
    @searchengine

Thanks, I tried your installer with VMware 7 and it works OK, but VMware is very long to start (about 30 seconds) and I don't find the new devices of VMware 7. So my question is :
    - do you patch the original VMware Bios or do replace it with another patched Bios ?

Michel.

16. searchengine

searchengine Guest

@catamini ...

vmware v7 is a great piece of software, but I found it to be a bit heavy on resources, on my PC, so I switched back to earlier (lighter version) .... running OK but sl_ _ _ow is typical of vmware not being given enough ram to run at its best .... or your overall ram and PC specs may just be a bit too lite to run this version very well.

The original vmware-vmx.exe is not replaced with another exe .... the original has its Binres 6006 entry (bios) patched with whatever brand you select ie.asus, dell,hp ... and if you choose 00 is repatched to vm default binres 6006

17. catimimi

catimimi MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2007
    @searchengine

Thanks for reply, If it is the vmware 7 Binres 6006 which is patched, I can't understand why I don't find the new devices of VMware 7 !!

I manually patched VMware 7 Binres 6006 and now VMware starts fastly and I find all the devices. Where is the différence ?

18. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I use the same VMware 7 as you and searchengine's patcher.. What devices are you not finding?

Please give some more details.

19. catimimi

catimimi MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2007
    For instance ATA channel 1 is not present with searchengine's patcher.

20. searchengine

searchengine Guest