VMware Workstation (Multi-Brand) Bios Installer

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by searchengine, Oct 21, 2009.

1. catimimi

catimimi MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2007
  2. cwag17

cwag17 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2008
    I can also confirm that I have ATA Channel 1 on VMWare 7 in a Windows 7 guest using the A4: DELL option in the patcher.... I do not experience any speed issues either. Host system is Windows 7 x64.

3. cge

cge MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2008
    Hi,
    Thanks for this very useful tool !
    Just a question, is there a way to have SLP 1.0 and SLIC 2.1 simultaneously ?

4. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    The HP 2.1 Slic contains 1.0 as well.. Not 100% sure of the other 2.1 slic patches, as I have only used them for Vista or 7.. never checked to see if 1.0 was included with them..

5. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Are you saying your trying to patch VMware 7 for Linux, with a patcher designed to work in Windows...???

:confused:

6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    For some strange reason HP slp 1.0 has always been in vmware bios, i remeber reading this a long while back on virtualization section.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ searchengine, as some one asked if at all possible could you add slp 1.0 also to patches i,e can you patch a patched vmware bios with only slp1.0 haven't relly experimented that much with restorator patches. or would you need to say do slic 2.1 and slp 1.0 dell bios for example don't need to mix and match if you now what i mean:)

8. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Ohhh, didn't know that.. I always though that is was included with the HP 2.1 Slic..

Strange, because when I put back the original vmx.exe, all of my HP OSes start asking for activation again.. Xp, Vista, and 7..?

9. searchengine

searchengine Guest

Hi guys ... just seen recent posts, I will catch up in the morning.

Been doing minor debugging of batch script, and adding "backup" of vmware-vmx.exe on first run, prior to any patching.

1st post updated, descriptions, and megaupload download link ... still trying to get mediafire link updated LOL.

.... added for "Windows" in description :D

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Well i must have been mistaken:( maybey wasn't HP or even vmware could have been MS virtual pc but i do remember reading something.

11. psyco

psyco MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Hello
    I've these problems with VMware workstation 7.0.0 build-203739
    1) All new VM generated with modded exe doesn't detect HD during installation of O.S (i've tried W7, server 2008, server 2008 R2)
    2) if i generate a VM with original exe all work fine, but if i change original exe with modded the VM desn't start.
    3) The only way to start a VM with modded exe is that:
    - generate and install the O.S. on a new VM (named "A") with original exe
    - generate same VM (named "B") with modded exe and replace HD file of VM named "B" with HD file of VM named "A" (you must change filename).

Can anyone help me?

12. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    I'm running the same build as you, -7.0.0 build-203739, currently I have VM's of, Xp (32 & 64), Vista Sp2 (32 & 64), Windows 7 Ultimate (32 & 64), Sever 2008 & R2, as well as several Linux builds including Fedora 11 x64 and Ubuntu 9..

All of these VM's were build with a Modded vmx.exe. So far I have not run into the error you have above. But, may I make a few suggestions. 1 - make sure that no part of Vmware is running when you use the patcher to mod the vmx.exe. 2 - If you Upgraded to Vmware 7 from an older version, and did not completely remove the older version first, go back and completely un-install Vmware, then re-install VMware 7. 3 - Make sure, if you have a software firewall installed, that it is not blocking VMware from communicating with your local host, ie: 127.0.0.1. VM's will not start if this communication is blocked.

If you still have the problem, Post the weather you are using VMware 7 in 32 bit or 64 bit, What Windows Host OS you are using and weather it is 32 bit or 64 bit and if possible a few screen shots of the error you are receiving after patching.. By doing the stuff above you can better help searchengine and yourself find were your problem is actually coming from..IE, his patcher or your install of VMware.. As I have said before I have been using searchengine's patcher pretty much since he fixed the 64 bit issues, so far I have had no errors, cross platforms and cross VMware versions. And that's with and average of 20 or more patches a day.. Yes I use it a lot. LOL :)

13. searchengine

searchengine Guest

#114 searchengine, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2009
    (OP)
    VMware v7 Problems ...

It seems the recent problem posts all have one thing in common ... vm version 7

As highspeedmac, cwag17, Pico, amires, Crozzy UK, have advised running v7 in x32/64bit without issue, logic tells me that patching binres 6006 in v7 would appear to be successful and cause no ill effects.

so what can the problem for others be then? ....

Wrong System?
    1a).Do not expect to have VMware Workstation v7 for Linux installed, and think this patcher will work .. it wont.
    1b).English/USA only ... not suitable for other languages (file paths and binres 6006 language ID en/usa).

Restrictions/Compatibility?
    2.Is DEP control; UAC; antivirus; Firewall blocking any vm services from starting ... did you install v7 in compatibilty mode?

Bad Uninstall?
    3.Previous partially uninstalled earlier version of vmware may leave files, drivers and registry keys behind that get mixed in the wash the the new install of v7. ...I would suggest that after uninstall, reboot, then manually look for any files folders in Programs Directory, including Common Files, User Folders, including All Users folders, and appdata folders .. you would need to go into Folder View to show all hidden files to see some of these folders .... I would delete anything that said vmware. ... run something like CCleaner to mop-up and delete old file paths....and reboot again.

Bad/Incompatible configuration of Virtual machine?
    4.You may have kept an earlier machine (made in an earlier version), and that's fine, just be aware that vm v7 has more bells and whistles, with more config file entries than earlier versions, and may not run your ealier built machine properly ... and most likely tells you it recognises earlier build machine, and asks if it can convert it to its format, which would make it unuseable in earlier machine if attempted later. ... your earlier machine may also have earlier version tools installed, that v7 does not like.

Made brand new machine using v7 to make it?
    5.still get errors... doesn't load, or slow to load, or errors ... still something wrong from 1,2,3, or 4 then go to 6.

Go Back to earlier VM version!
    6.Take a deep breath ... v7 doesn't like your PC (compatibility issues), go back to v6.5

Conclusion
    The vmware-vmx.exe patch process is identical for all users, and would either patch or not patch.
    If v7.0.0 build-203739 patches and runs successfully for one user, then it makes no sense to cause fault for another. ..at this point I see nothing I can fix, as logic dictates "problems for some" are config/compatiblity related.

14. searchengine

searchengine Guest

psyco ...

Is the version of vmware v7 you have installed in both host machine's installed as SPANISH???

15. psyco

psyco MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2009
    Italian...
    I will uninstall VMware 7 and i will make a new "clean" installation.
    VMware 6.5 is uninstalled during VMware7 installation.
    I will try tomorrow, it's night now. G'nite all
    TNX

16. searchengine

searchengine Guest

@psyco...

Patch binres 6006 has en/usa language ID ... think that's no good on your vmware-vmx.exe.....in effect you have an exe with Italian language ID with binres 6006 in en/usa.

17. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    @searchengine

it may be a good idea for you to put the above info you have posted in the first post as well. The "VMware v7 Problems" ... and the "Language issue". As a lot of people tend not to read past the first post in a topic. Might save yourself the time in repeating yourself, a lot of people will assume it works with all languages and also will assume that any problems they come across in using VMware after patching it, would be your Patcher's fault....;)

Your logical response is logically sound.. :D

:)

18. searchengine

searchengine Guest

@highspeedmac ...

Good thinking bro .... updated 1st post now ;) WINDOWS & ENGLISH/USA ONLY :D

19. randomchaos26

randomchaos26 MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    #120 randomchaos26, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
    might want to change "%systemdrive%\Program Files\" to "%ProgramFiles%\"
    the batch script failed on my customized winxp install where the program files directory is set to "C:\Programs\", also some foreign language installs of windows do not use "Program Files" either
    i also have a machine with the program files directory on another partition entirely (aka D:\Program Files\) this would also thoroughly confuse the batch script because its not on the systemdrive at all

edit: before anyone asks why i would do that:
    a) because i can, b) i have my reasons