W7 SP1 Fresh Install - MEDIA PLAYER PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by phukme, Mar 29, 2011.

1. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Have just finished a fresh install; from an MSDN verified iso. Installed all my programs, activated and validated both the windows and office installations. Have also installed nero 7.11.10.
    But the 1st. time I tried to play an avi file - the windows media player opened up; and the sound started up but no video. There was just a fixed image (about 2" x 1") in the centre of the media player.
    I tried to open (right click, open with) the avi with nero, got an error message about direct x features not being installed. Advised to open dxdiag, go to display on 2nd. tab and enable direct x features. "Notes" section advised no problems found. Clicked the <run x64 diag> button which then advised that the direct x features are enbled.
    Tried windows media player again; still no video.
    Rebooted and ran dxdiag, still showed features not enabled. Did some research, used control panel, windows features installed on left hand tab - uninstalled windows media player, rebooted media player uninstalled.
    Followed sequence again (to re-install media player) rebooted and once into windows again, media player installed, but video wouldn't play.
    Tried to get a link at microsoft to obtain fresh mp12 installer, but it is not available for download.
    Any suggestions to cure this problem???
    I really woul prefer to use mp12 if at all possible.
    ThanX !!!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    #2 zahnoo, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
  4. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011