Want to have Blue progressbars in Windows 7? .Look no further

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tomorrow, Jul 28, 2009.

1. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Can you specify about the error ?
    look in event viewer for info about errorcode and such...

2. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    "Some files could not be created. Please close all applications, reboot windows and restart this istallation" (this messange pops up in an own window) and winrar self-ectracting archive says "cannot create aero.msstyles"

I follow the step by step. 1 disable aero, 2 run uxstylex86, 3 run the reg patch, 4 run ThemeInstall.exe.... Then the message shows upp.

3. nitra

nitra MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2009
    I use Tuneup 2010 and can use another Theme with blue progressbars.

Edit: Without Errors ;)

4. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    I see you run it from inside the archive.

Maybe just try to unrar first to some folder, then do the steps again.

5. jsday187

jsday187 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2008
    One suggestion: you should warn people to rename their old aero.msstyle in the odd case they may want to revert back to the original green.

You know how people are round these parts. Any minute a hundred threads will sprout up debating whether or not this change to your os is microsoft endorsed.

Then everyone will blame you for starting the bubonic plague 12 centuries ago and what not.

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
  7. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    The download are extracted with winzip. But I can see that I`m (admin) not the ovner of the aeromsstyles.mui on my system. Only thrustedinstaller have full access. Administrator only have "read and run" and "read". Shall I manually takeown the file at first???

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
  9. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Innside c:\windows\resources\themes\aero i have 3 folders and 1 single file. The folders are: en-US, nb-NO and shell. The single file are named only "aero". Innside the nb-NO folder there is only 1 file "aero.msstyles.mui". Inside the en-US folder there is alson 1 file "aero.msstyles.mui". Innside the shell folder there is a new folder called "normalColor" and innside this folder I have "shellstyle.dll" and a folder called en-US. But only trusted installer have full access to all this.

10. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    As you see there is an Norwegian language pack installed on my system.

11. Jordi36

Jordi36 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2009
    I got the same problems as Toska :(

12. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    #433 jbysmith, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    Sounds like you're needing to take ownership of the files. By default, as a security measure, only the TrustedInstaller account can modify system files. Personally, I didn't even touch the original Aero theme; I made a copy with a different name and went from there. (Editing the .theme file with Notepad2 to reflect the name change.) If you mess it up, no biggie, switch back to the original Aero. Same goes for hacking Explorer.exe, the shell DLL's and the like, you'll need to take ownership before you can tinker with it.. after making a backup copy of them of course.

13. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    And only the aero.msstyles needs to be touched.
    The other three folders leave them be.
    the shellstyle.dll inside shell\normalcolor can be modified too, but that would be through it's UIfile stream, and that's another story.

So only use the aero.msstyles in the aero folder, or do as jbysmith said and make a copy of the original. Allthough it is rather pointless.

If you first copy aero.msstyles to your desktop, and modify that file and "save" (not save as...) to that file, you will have your copy.
    Renaming the original will provide an instant (AND untouched) backup file for the original, which can be reverted back by simply do the renaming backwards.

Gen555

EDIT : if you are into it, you can use VMware 7.0 to perform the mods in a virtual environment. That way you can break whatever you want, without harming your system at all.
    For testing purposes, it is a perfect solution. It is mentioned in the "Win7 themes and resource mods" thread too.

14. david toska

david toska MDL Member

Nov 30, 2009
    But in c:\windows\resources\themes\aero i have no file named aero.msstyles. I have only "aero" inside that folder. But i have aero.msstyles.mui file inside C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Aero\nb-NO. I think i give up, and go for my "nice" green progress bar:) But I suppose my "aero" file are the same file genuine 555 names aero.msstyles.

15. jbysmith

Feb 8, 2008
    #436 jbysmith, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
    Try this.

Open up explorer, click on the "Organize" button on the top left, and hit "Folder and search options". On that new page, go to the "View" tab. Scroll down, and find "Hide extensions for known file types", and un-check that. By default, Explorer hides most file extensions. Annoying :D

Worse comes to worse, I could always drop a modded Aero with only the blue progress bars on DropBox if needed.

16. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
  17. jbysmith

Feb 8, 2008
    Ahhh didn't see you were continuing to update that list.. my bad. And thanks for pointing out the one image I missed.. I hadn't noticed it lol, and here I thought I was done with my personal theme. :D

18. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Yeah, it's a work in progress.
    And thank you too for pointing out the image I had missed :p
    Hadn't noticed it either.

And one thing you will notice along the way :
    One is never done with his personal theme :D
    I've been at it for some time now (despite the lack of time), and it's way from done...but that's the fun of it, innit ?

Gen

19. jbysmith

Feb 8, 2008