Want to remove items from "open with" choices

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dougwa, May 9, 2014.

1. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Spent two hours on Google and tried a bunch of free utilities without success... MAN do I feel like a failure right now! lol
    In Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, when I right-click on a .jpg I have these choices:

LibreOffice Draw
    Paint
    Paint Shop Pro 7
    Paint Shop Pro Windows 32 bit Executable
    Windows Photo Viewer

I'd like to remove the first couple listings, and I'd like to move my ancient version of PSP4 to the top. I tried looking in all the registry places spoken of in our five year old thread named:
    "how-to-unassociate-remove-or-delete-programs-from-open-with-or-recommended-programs-list/"
    but either I'm even stupider than I thought or the advice there does not apply.
    Any suggestions?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    To 'delete' the list is impossible AFAIK!

What you could do is to associate a sudden type pf Picture Files like .jpg, .png etc. with an special program to open on default. Just Right Click on an picture, chose Open with -->Choose default program... and select which one you like from the shown list. If it's not there, click on More Option and you could from there also go directly to the programs location if it's not in the list now!

Be aware if you use that way, all files of the type will be opened with your newly choosen program. You still could use again the Right Click on the picture for to use an different one!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    it's hopeless!

Thanks pisthai and EFA11 for trying, I am VERY appreciative!
    I've already tried OpenWithView. LibreOffice Draw does not appear in it's findings. Just for craps 'n giggles I hit DISABLE on many of the items that OpenWithView did find, such as ehshell and wordpad, but LibreOffice Draw still comes up as the top choice. I suppose I could reformat and NOT install LibreOffice until after I've made my favorite two choices for .jpg "open-with"...
    Also from the link that EFA11 suggested, I tried looking in here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \ Explorer \FileExts\
    But under .jpg there is no listing for LibreOffice Draw.
    Also also, a blogger elsewhere listed multiple places in the registry where "open-with" data is kept, and I've checked out ALL of them. No good!
    Guess what? I'm beginning to believe that Windows 7 = Vista, as in: it's kinda crappy! lol

4. mackrack5

mackrack5 MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    Try CCleaner=Tools-Startup-ContexMenu.

:)

5. dougwa

dougwa MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2013
    By yiminy that's one I never thought of...
    OOPS, no listing for LibreOffice Draw. Oh well, it was worth a shot. Thanks for the pointer, mackrack5!