WARNING: Placing Temporary Internet Files on RAM disk causes some Metro apps to fail

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mdc, Oct 28, 2012.

1. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Considering how much RAM most of us have these days, and how little of it we actually use, setting up a relatively small (512mb or so) RAMdisk is a fairly effective way of a) lowering SSD writes, b) speeding up your browsing, and c) helping to ensure your privacy should someone pinch your machine/HDD. Unfortunately, while this works perfectly in Windows 7, there's a catch in Windows 8.

It breaks Metro apps.

Or rather, it breaks the BING Metro apps. That includes Weather, Travel, News, etc. Messaging, E-Mail and People still work, but anything net-centric is basically f**ked. I'm currently looking for a workaround, but anyone doing this and wondering why things aren't working (as I did for about 3 days a month or so ago), there's your reason.

2. mdc

mdc MDL Junior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Right, from what I can tell, the problem seems to be that RAMdisks aren't recognized as actual volumes; ie, they don't show up in Disk Management / Diskpart. It would seem that these particular Metro apps refer to the hard drive using it's full volume name (ie, \\?\Volume{8a956542-20cc-11e2-be65-806e6f6e6963}\) rather than drive/folder paths. Even setting up a junction/symlink the RAMdrive to an empty NTFS folder on a physical drive doesn't seem to be able to trick Metro into recognizing the new path. Unless anyone knows of a RAMdrive offering which actually spoofs a real volume, I think we're pretty f**ked.

3. JoeO

JoeO MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2013
    Windows 8 metro apps with ram drive

I found a solution that has been working well for me. I have Windows 8 64bit with 16Gb of RAM. RAMDisk 4.0.4 from X64bit (x64bitdownload.com) is recognized in Disk Management and Task Manager Performance monitor. Metro app video's work fine (even Bing). Maximum RAM disk size of free version is 4Gb. I use 1Gb size and set Internet Explorer Temporary Internet Files to this drive. To get around the 4Gb limitation, I am using SoftPerfect RAM disk 3.3.3 (softperfect.com). RAM drives using this software are not recognized in Disk Management and some metro app video's fail to load. I use 8Gb for this drive and set my Windows environment variable TEMP and TMP to this drive. Both programs are running fine together and are FREE.