Was rooting around for icon files and found...

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by RASelkirk, Oct 10, 2019.

1. RASelkirk

RASelkirk MDL Senior Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Four humongous files with ICO extension. I've loaded them into notepad and gave them a look, it's mostly machine code, but there are open text areas and I see references to Garmin and Photoshop, plus a bunch of UUIDs that don't show in a registry search...

Does anyone else have these?

I'm gonna set a restore point and delete them, see what happens?

Russ

Image 000.jpg

2. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    It's an icon file. It even says "Image file" on your screen grab. The files usually contain multiple resolutions, ie, 16x16, 48x48, 96x96, etc...
    Why are you wasting your time with this?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Maybe because I've never seen a 17 MEGABYTE icon file before? I've made a bunch of ICO files with multiple resolutions and depths and they've never exceeded 150k (as in KILOBYTES). Also, no programs I've found will recognize this as any file...

Russ

4. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Well it's in your \installer\ folder so it's probably an .exe with embedded icons. You could rename it & analize it...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  6. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010

Attached Files:

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  8. RASelkirk

Feb 4, 2010
    Well, deleting it was not the answer. Some progs got hinky and others quit working. Had to restore that folder from backup, guess I'll have to be content to keep sticking my head in the sand in ignorance.

BTW, have I ever stated my opinion of MS's cr@p? It's soo00oo damned insidious, wrapping itself around every tendril of one's sanity. No better than Google, FB, or the inner-beltway swamp in DC!..

Russ