WAT (antipiracy update) released unofficaly....official launch at 17/02

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SoLoR, Feb 1, 2010.

1. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
  2. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    lol not at all. i wish i was a student so i could take advantage of it

3. beamslider

beamslider MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Illegal or not MS says you can't sell them. Bottom line they can blacklist any key they feel like blacklisting. They could also decide to clamp down on TechNet subscriptions if they feel it is a problem. Selling TechNet or MSDN keys is not doing anyone a favor.

The keys have a limited number of activations. How many that buy them spread them around or even resell them?

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Then thank God for daz loader...lol

5. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    The terms for using technet are very limiting, people selling keys is a very good way to ruin a good program and the keys are limited in ways a retail key isn't.

That said, anyone thinking about buying technet should do it, for less than a single ultimate retail key you get access all the MS applications and OS's you are likley to need. You even get windows 3.11 :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    yup agreed i went and bought me a technet. LOVE IT

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    LOL, then I guess that PM was superfluous.

8. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Any idea how many uses that Server R2 key is good for?

9. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Should be good for 10 activations if its a technet.

10. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Thanks, it is a mak key, not sure if it is good for 1, 5, or 500.

11. bluealien

bluealien MDL Member

Mar 2, 2010

Thanks for the update on your problem. It seems our problem with HP is not similar after all. I re-flashed my bios and reinstalled w7 -reinserted the HP key and cert, and finally installed WAT. All seems fine now, so far so good.

12. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    its def something weird with the hp machines. i am seeing this from customers as i said also on LEGIT RETAIL AND OEM machines. that they actually bought from hp and another customer brought in a retail boxed SEALED bought from office depot for me to install and now he is not genuine on a hp notebook with a 100% fresh clean install and nothing on it

13. MasterDisaster

MasterDisaster MDL Expert

Aug 29, 2009
    Poking around WatAdminSvc, I found that it does check for existence of following files

• grldr
    • w7ldr
    • xeldr

14. SparrowUnit

SparrowUnit MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2010
    It could be that those being flagged as non-genuine might have their loaders inactive but have these files on their hard drives. It could be enough to trigger WAT.

15. iamanoob

iamanoob MDL Senior Member

Feb 28, 2010
  16. The Smoking Gun!

The Smoking Gun! MDL Novice

Mar 7, 2010
    #2479 The Smoking Gun!, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
    I hope this is not off topic for this thread but I have a question.

Not being a tech of such a level as many who frequent here i was wondering if using a tool like bitlocker would encrypt the drive and prevent the Gates'squad from looking in to our builds for traces of tampering?

I'm not sure of HOW that works but as i understood it, it encrypts the drive and not just the files on it, correct?

If that is the case then would this not solve the problem for most of us?

Last thing i want to do is put good people like Hazzar or Daz out of business, LOL so please don't get offended by the blunt short sighted method that occurred to me, I'm probably wrong, but wanted to check with someone with some experience with these types of utilities.

TIA
    TSG!

Oh a quick sidebar, i inadvertently clicked on a tool that was in the win7 tools ver 1.8 folders that said s---cdump.exe, and it ran, did I screw things up?

I used the tools 1.8 OEM insert, and the first time it responded with an error warning, so I rebooted and tied again and it appears I am genuine again, but am not sure what that utility did to my bios.

Thanks even more in Advance :eek:)

17. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    I think Daz is way ahead of you and them on this.