weird boot.ini question

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by HALIKUS, Sep 3, 2009.

1. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #1 HALIKUS, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
    i have some boot code from an old Vista RTM from wiNBeta, and they had a nifty way to manipulate the bcd so that it called a boot.ini in the root of the DVD and the referenced an x86 and x64 dir in sources that had the respected OS's. I've since taken that and made a Vista and Win7 DVD.
    My question is, i still have room on the DVD for XP. In the boot.ini (i know its irregular), it has :
    [boot loader]
    nobcd
    timeout=10
    default=ramdisk(0)\Windows
    [operating systems]
    ramdisk(0)\$Windows.~BT\Windows="Microsoft Windows Vista Setup" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /DETECTHAL /MININT /rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(0)\boot\bootx86.wim /RDSDIHDRPATH=multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(0)\boot\boot.sdi /USENEWLOADER
    ramdisk(0)\Windows="Microsoft Windows 7 Setup" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT /DETECTHAL /MININT /rdpath=multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(0)\sources\boot.wim /RDSDIHDRPATH=multi(0)disk(0)cdrom(0)\boot\boot.sdi /USENEWLOADER

The above entries show up like a bcd menu upon boot for the 2 OS's and altering the bcd in boot doesnt effect anything.

I want to know what i would enter to have XP boot from an i386 directory on the root of the dvd (and if possible a vistape entry for vistape.wim). Im not quite sure what file to call to initiate install, and what ive tried allways looks like a bad bcd error screen. I figure its an easy answer for you veterans. Thanks.

Oh, and also, the 2 os's win beta had was 4 gig each, but it was squeezed onto a dvd-r, but extracting the iso it was 8 gig. Howd they do that?