Weird Buzzing Sound from Win7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GRDaddy, Feb 20, 2010.

1. GRDaddy

GRDaddy MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2010
    Hey guys, wondering if anyone else gets this, I don't have any test notebooks sitting around running Windows 7.

On boot after the splash screen, I start getting this high pitched buzzing noise. Like a bunch of crickets stuck in a small jar or something. I get it intermittently while using the computer, usually on starting a program. And also hear it when I use the touch pad after 5 taps.

I thought it was the HD for a while, but under my linux distro that I'm also running, no buzzing, ever.

My mouse has been acting strange and I can't remember tweaking any settings, but after typing maybe a paragraph, the mouse goes inactive for about 4 seconds, and then resumes working again, as long as I don't tap it again.

Not sure if it's Win7 that's causing the problem, or some sort of hardware thing. Just seeing if anyone else has this problem as well.

Compaq F558US

2. ffcloud2000

ffcloud2000 MDL Member

Oct 23, 2009
    I know when i first started using win7 when it was released for testing i had issues with the sound also but installing one of the windows updates for the audio seemed to fix it.. also try creating a new user account and see if you have those mouse issues.. one of the computers i have at home went all wonky once well it was the keyboard instead of mouse but yea just test it out and see if you still have issues. Might be some kind of settings problem

3. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Outdated drivers? Try a windows update or google for the last video and mouse drivers...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GRDaddy

GRDaddy MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2010
    All drivers are up to date. This computer has been reformatted and Win7 reinstalled twice now. Sound still an issue.

For the mouse, I think it's a setting. Maybe like a bonkers disable mousepad when typing option. Issue not apparent when I add a new user account.

5. berdinatilli

berdinatilli MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    First, look under your chair, desk, all around you for a bunch of crickets in a small jar, failing that if you think it is related to the touch pad hookup a usb mouse and disable the touch pad in the bios. If this fixes your problem than maybe it is some wierd driver issue.

I had a dell laptop that would occasionaly make a similar noise if the computer had been stored in a cold room or in the car until it warmed up, I know it isn't related but yes, I know how annoying crickets in small jars can be.