Weird "windows not genuine" issue

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by murdercitydevil, Oct 29, 2009.

1. ipkonfig

ipkonfig MDL Junior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I am using Windows 7 Pro with legit MSDN key. The same "windows is not genuine" message pops up ocassionally. Strangely, it seems to fix itself after sometime.. I thought it was an isolated incident .. but i am glad to see at least a small share of us are experiencing the same..

2. dakota42784

dakota42784 MDL Junior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    #22 dakota42784, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    "Weird, not Genuine issue"

My Bios is modded & Flashed & has been for 4-5 months or so.
    Yesterday afternoon, I had that message (Not Genuine) above my taskbar. At first I thought it was Microsoft & an update.
    Asked my wife if her Computer was ok (Uses a Loader)...........She was fine.
    Then I thought about what I had done that Morning & remembered that I had Downloaded some shall we say (shady) software.
    I put 2 & 2 together & figured I had a Virus & or spyware.
    I had made a Backup early that morning (20th) & also had a backup for the 19th.
    To make a long story shorter, My backup for the 20th was corrupted.
    But the Backup for the 19th was good, so I restored the 19th Backup & everything is fine.
    Acronis True Image 2010 (with Plus Pack) is my Backup Software.

One of the softwares I had downloaded & installed was "Dream Aquarium".

Forgot to mention, I dual boot Win 7 Ultimate & Ubuntu 9.04......But I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Hope this helps.

3. murdercitydevil

murdercitydevil MDL Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Well my storage drive recently got wiped so unfortunately I've lost all my backups, but come to think of it, I haven't run a full virus scan for a while now. I should probably do that and see if it comes up with anything, doubt it will though. I very rarely install things I don't absolutely need, and even when I do, I'm very careful about it. but who knows, it's another thing to try. So far the watermark hasn't come up today. I'll leave computer on overnight and see if it comes back anytime soon.

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

I wonder if this has anything to do with the delay in WAT being implemented. If there is a bug that is causing legit users to get notifications then.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #25 Brainsuck, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
    I have two Gateway's one has the rtm update pack install and the other do'nt the one that does did it last night and the one that do'nt is all good I Think it is the update pack because of HAL change??:eek::eek::eek:The one that do'nt have only has Windows updates on it

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    #26 PAYMYRENT, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    ppl having this problem should look at the services that are running and if the "Software Protection" or "sppsvc" service is off it will cause this problem. make sure the startup type is automatic (delayed start). and then start the service and your watermark issue will go away. the reason it goes away when you open computer properties is explorer starts that service when the window is opened. leave the software protection service off and you will get the watermark after a little bit. turn it on a leave it on the watermark goes away

7. murdercitydevil

murdercitydevil MDL Member

Sep 7, 2009
    I think this might be the solution! I just checked my services and noticed mine was set to manual. I was messing around with service optimization a long time ago and must have overlooked this. thanks for the tip! I will post back if it returns, but I think this may have done the trick.

8. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    So, this is it. The service is described as "Enables the download, installation and enforcement of digital licenses for Windows and Windows applications. If the service is disabled, the operating system and licensed applications may run in a notification mode. It is strongly recommended that you not disable the Software Protection service."

Great discovery, PMR...:):p;)

9. PAYMYRENT

PAYMYRENT MDL Developer

Jul 28, 2009
    #29 PAYMYRENT, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
    no problem i remembered i was messing around with one of my apps trying to see where it messed up and i forgot i changed mine to manual on one of the gateway machines brainsuck was talking about

yea no problem :p

10. d3l1

d3l1 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    #30 d3l1, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2009
    yesterday my Samsung NC10 told me that my copy wasn't genuine and nagged me every time I started my netbook. I flashed my BIOS to the most recent one and that seems to have fu**ed up Daz' loader. I tried to reactivate but it didn't work until I specifially used the Samsung Key/Cert in the advanced options. Now it's activated again and not nagging me.

Weird!