What about bypass HP MXM VGA cards whitelist?!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by sk0rpi0n, Jan 5, 2011.

1. sk0rpi0n

sk0rpi0n MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2010
    Hi all,
    I'm trying to mod an HP Elitebook 8530p notebook BIOS.
    - Default MXM II VGA card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650;
    - New MXM II VGA card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 (taken from an MSI GX623 notebook).
    Other cards tested:
    - Nvidia Quadro FX 770M (working - card is in the original HP whitelist);
    - Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT (not working - notebook won't boot - black screen).
    Strangely when the new card is installed the notebook boots and starts Windows XP normally ignoring whitelist (the 4670 is NOT in the allowed whitelist cards! With the 9600MGT it won't boot).
    I could also install the modded INF ATI Cataltyst drivers, restarted Windows and the desktop came up with the right resolution.
    Seems that everything was ok and the damned HP whitelist were defeated but... PROBLEM:

After few minutes (2-3) from the boot fan starts make noise and the speed remain constantly higher than normal even if notebook is in idle.
    Leaving the notebook in idle or simply using internet or 2D applications the otebook works good but always with the fan at a medium speed (with the original ATI 3650 card the fan were very very silent in idle).
    Trying to load 3DMark 2005 the notebook shuts down suddenly after few minutes APPARENTLY due to a temperature issue, with the fan at full speed.
    So I install NHC (Notebook Hardware Control) and as I thought the detected CPU temperature was the same when was installed the original ATI 3650 card, and is always about 40-45° using the notebook for normal non-3D applications.
    Plus, raising the keyboard and touching the copper heat pipe over the CPU and GPU I'm SURE that the temperature is THE SAME either for both MXM II cards.

So... CONCLUSION: the HP BIOS doesn't "read" correctly the temperature sensor of the new VGA card and so the fan speed is raised to an intermediate state.
    I'm not even sure if the PowerPlay settings works correctly... GPU-Z sensors detects a clock frequency of 220 MHz core and 250 MHz memory clock when the notebook is in idle or when using non-3D applications.

Next step... WHAT I WOULD TRY TO DO:
    I think it might not be enough to mod "normally" the BIOS as if treating the MXM II slot as the MPCI-E slot of the WLAN cards...
    Acquiring information on the many visited forums in the web seems that I should load the entire new MXM card VBIOS into the HP BIOS.
    Before doing this I tried to recover the original HP BIOS by the WIN-B keys procedure at boot, and it works good... plus the notebook is still under warranty, so I'm strongly resolute to try with the fix.
    HP BIOS is an Insyde BIOS, I've downloaded many tools to try the mod but the more appropriate seems the "Insyde EzH2O v2.1.0.4"; the problem is that I'm a newbie at this point and I don't know how to approach the procedure... I need more advice from better prepared users on this argument!
    I already have:
    - HP Elitebook 8530p/w newest BIOS (F.12);
    - Original ATI Mobility HD 3650 VBIOS (extracted with TechPowerUp Radeon BIOS Editor v1.26;
    - Original ATI Mobility HD 4670 VBIOS (idem);
    - Many other tools as ATI Winflash, GPU-Z, ADDCC, HxD Hex Editor, RW Everything, etc.
    but now I'm in TOTAL CONFUSION!
    Are months I'm trying to find a way to mod the HP BIOS to bypass their damned whitelist... any suggestion?!?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!

Thank you.

--- sk0rpi0n -->

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. sk0rpi0n

sk0rpi0n MDL Novice

Dec 20, 2010
    Last update:

Trying to install an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 taken from an Acer Aspire 6530G; result is that notebook won't boot (as for the 9600M GT)!
    The only difference between the two cards (except for VBIOS) is that the original Mobility 3650 from HP has 256 MB RAM GDDR3, and the Mobility 3650 from Acer has 512 MB RAM DDR2.
    Why since now noone was concerned in the possibility to upgrade his MXM VGA card on the HP Elitebook series?!? :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. snirkel

snirkel MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    Hi! Did you find a way to unwhitelist the VGA/GPU of Elitebook 8530p?

Thanks
    S.