What about Server Core?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by zoink, Mar 14, 2009.

1. zoink

zoink MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2009
    Hi everyone, this is my first post so I'd like to thank you all for the excellent information provided on these forums.

I currently have a physical machine acting as a Hyper-V host which is running Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Server Core and still in the activation grace period without any keys input yet. It is hosting an additional 3 virtual machines with full installations of Windows Server 2008 Enterprise Full, all in their activation grace period as well.

I've been researching how to activate or prevent these installs from getting disabled when the grace period runs out as I missed out on the free keys from Dreamspark. I started using the method that entails disabling the SLUINotify service and renaming the 3 files from the System32 folder. This seems to work on the full installations but the Server Core installation seemingly does not contain this service, which is a bit puzzling. That would imply it must have some sort of other licensing enforcement mechanism in that case.

I've been searching but have not been able to find any info on Server Core activation methods. Do any of you have any pertinent information?

Also, does anyone know of a good way of activating these installs (or at least preventing them from being disabled) and keeping all Enterprise edition functionality?

If anyone out there has a spare key for Server 2008 from Dreamspark, I'd certainly appreciate it very much if you could be kind enough to send it my way.

Thanks in advance.

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    Check your PM

3. zoink

zoink MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2009
    #3 zoink, Mar 14, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
    (OP)
    Thanks a lot for your response!