What about Windows Thin PC?

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by yro, May 30, 2011.

1. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Very cool!!, I will try that next on my next thin client soon.. I like WES7 for a pc/VMWare-test, the template installed on only 1.9GB hard drive space and it seems fast with just 512mb on memory..
    I also wonder why MS did not add the windows search feature on the new Windows ThinPC, I think is very useful.

2. alien2xx

alien2xx MDL Senior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    ok, I have created another image with your suggestions and it worked perfectly, the search boxes are there now... thanks so much.. I guess we learn something new everyday.. I appreciate it... View attachment 10193

3. fafhrd

fafhrd MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2010
    #23 fafhrd, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    A little trick I stumbled across with WES7 to get rid of the evaluation trial notification screens, whether 30 day, 180 day or 365 day grace is given.

If you sidestep the OOBE initial user login screen by pressing shift F10 to bring up a command prompt, and then make the built-in administrator account active by issuing the command -

Code:
    net user administrator /active:yes
    - you can prematurely open TaskManager, and Windows Explorer, Regedit, etc., and close down the OOBE first use programs.

This has the effect of confounding the administrator and system accounts, so the next thing to do is set up your own passworded named administrator account, e.g. Admin. and reboot. It may take a couple of reboots to get rid of the first run stuff, and it's a good idea to give the built-in administrator a new password instead of the default blank.

Every time I have done this, the "Evaluation Copy" wording does not appear on screens at boot-up or shutdown, just Windows Embedded Standard 7.

Subsequent activation via slmgr proceeds normally.

The product is licensed to "Windows User" on the Winver splash.

There's probably a much simpler and cleaner method, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

The other thing I really like is Imagex - I don't install from iso's any more - just from the wim file.

I make sure Imagex is copied to \system32\ and the command line is simply:

Code:
    imagex /apply d:\sources\install.wim 5 c:
    which just installs image 5 from the disk in d: to c:

If I don't know what the wim image structure is, I type

Code:
    imagex /info d:\sources\install.wim
    To display the image information.

My favourite command is

Code:
    imagex /capture c: f:\imagename.wim "cdrive" /verify
    which creates an image of the cdrive for backup or cloning

It's so quick!

Oh and the coup de grace to add the newly applied image to the boot menu, or make it bootable on a clean system

Code:
    bcdboot c:\windows /s c: