What Antivirus is everyone using?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Jopplehead, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Of course it's genuine it's a free product from M$ lol. Never did i say it will make your key blacklisted, but M$ *could* use it as a *tool* to help them identify who is running pirated Win 7, if they wanted to.

2. Gradius

Gradius MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Decided to try Kaspersky, so far is working good.

3. atifsh

atifsh MDL Junior Member

Jun 4, 2008
    yes its free but not available to all at the moment thats why i said genuine.

they cant do that with any of their programs. they can do it by windows update only using patch for such purpose. if they start that with their programs they will be in huge problem.

4. jjosefo

jjosefo MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    McAfee (beta) is doing OK on my system, and their -in the cloud- Artemis system works wonderfully.

Other good option is Avira free antivirus.

5. AzN_devil

AzN_devil MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    nod 32 on win 7 sucks....
    ive been using xp for half a year without any virus...now i switched to win 7 and i got infected twice in two weeks =(

not happy

6. Reign_Of_Freedom

Reign_Of_Freedom MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2009
    Your Nod 32 not pick it up?

7. searchengine

searchengine Guest

I started off with eSet Smart Security v4 .... all seemed good till eset started saying it couldn't create temp files to update ....... switched to Kaspersky Windows 7 beta version and it has ran very well....its free till end October, then I guess they want to get paid for it from then .... although I had a major issue installing it...kept getting error 1317....which turned out to be system not allowing it to install files to ProgramData folder .... I had UAC disabled....but had to Take ownership of a fair few folders to get it installed.

It makes me think the problems I had with eSet not being able to create Temp files for updates was a related problem.

Seems no matter what you do with UAC ..and ownerships ... something always seems to give the final say to the system.

8. heffe2001

heffe2001 MDL Novice

May 8, 2007
    On my desktop, I'm running Nod32 v4, and Microsoft Security Essentials. Haven't decided if I want to remove NOD or not, but probably will (MSE seems to work fine on my laptop with 7 on it, and is very light on resources.

On my wife's 7 computer, I'm running the NIS 2010 beta, and it's kept her machine fairly problem free (a few little things have gotten on the system, but they were programs she allowed to install for some games she plays).

People who say that NIS 2009/2010 is crap, or bloatware, etc have apparently NOT used the latest versions. I did a review on it for Neowin a few months back, and my findings were that it actually used less resources for the NIS2009 than the current version at the time of NOD32 v4. Install time was one of the quickest I've ever seen (less than a minute from start to finish). The only reason I'm not running it on my machine now, I've hit my install limit on my 3 user copy (apparently they don't take into consideration multiple installs on the same hardware with different OS's as one user). Same goes for the Gamer edition, very, very light, and can be made to not notify the user when things happen while you're gaming.

For spyware, I'm using Malwarebytes like a good many people here. I'd also recommend combofix if you happen to get something on your machine that malwarebytes won't fix (had 4 or 5 people at my work fall for a ecard trojan, someone ran it from their personal email, and it bypassed my spam/av filter since it was sent from inside the network and got onto a couple other systems. Malwarebytes/Combofix together fully cleaned the machines, and no problems since). I also used to have good results with SuperAntiSpyware, but have since switched to the above combo...

Also, all the machines that were infeced at my work with that ecard virus, had the latest version of NOD32 v4 on them at the time of infection, take that for what it's worth...

9. -jay-

-jay- MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    none i keep it simple install only certain things & go on certain sites im picky even tho i got 8gb of ram

10. AzN_devil

AzN_devil MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    nope it didnt pick it up
    i found out because i saw weird files on my c: root

it only quarantine the files when i manually scanned for it

so now i have to install everything over again..

11. re*s.t.a.r.s.*2

re*s.t.a.r.s.*2 MDL Junior Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Norton antivirus 2009

I am using Norton antivirus 2009, working fine, even deleted a trojan in USB hardrive backup software.... LMAO...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. crocexx

crocexx MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Norton gaming edition 2009, works well!

13. EclipseSin

EclipseSin MDL Member

Feb 29, 2008
    NOD32, Kaspersky, PC-Cillin, and AVG

14. Maru_7711

Maru_7711 MDL Junior Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Symantec Endpoint Protection (Enterprise) - v.11.0.4202.75 (MR4/MP2).

15. micky1punch

micky1punch MDL Junior Member

Jul 24, 2009
    used eset on win vista, licence ran out so i tried KIS2010 on win7, but had issues with it, so back to ESET for me, which, as always, isnt letting me down..

16. peterpaulw

peterpaulw MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2007
    I use Avira free on Windows 7 on various PCs without any problem and with good success on detecting viruses. It has one of the best detection rates. Just disable the nag screen.

AVG free used to be my favorite, but I experienced unreliability and problems with the recent versions. I tried it on a Nettop specced PC with Windows 7 and it slowed down the system to a literal crawl. Everything took four times as long as before and even disabling the real-time protection did not help. After uninstalling AVG and installing Avira the system was back to its normal speed.

17. tommiy

tommiy MDL Member

Nov 5, 2007
    is Avira free x64 or just 32bits?

18. pRo_lama

pRo_lama MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2009
    Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 is the best solution for me. :) :cool:

19. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Eset Nod32 Smart Security 4 x64