What antvirus software is compatible with Windows server 2012?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by awsd, Aug 10, 2012.

1. troels

troels MDL Member

May 20, 2007
    I installed the previous Endpoint version that way. Isn't there a 180 days limit on your version?

2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Yes, there is a 180 day limit on this beta version but I am hoping that there will be a final version before the expiration. Or, if not, then a commercial AV program that will work with Server by then is always a possibility. At least there is something to use for the present.

3. bicyclechris

bicyclechris MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2012
    I've done the same thing, endpoint is a great AV solution for Server 2012. It is also good to get familiar with the Advanced Firewall that is built-in to the Server OS.
    By default, Server 2012 and 2008 R2 come with pretty tight firewall restrictions as it is. I've never bought into third-party AV solutions for newer editions Windows Server, because I haven't had a need for it. Simply avoid going to bad websites, don't click YES on something unless you are sure of what it is, and always choose "custom" when installing software!
    For end-user workstations, that is a whole other debate and is best left to the discretion of the network/server admin at a given company.

4. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    I had problems with endpoint protection so I grabbed Microsoft system center 2012 endpoint protection SP1. MS says its made to work with server 2012.

5. sps

sps MDL Member

Feb 6, 2008
    Just reviving this thread... and some comments with my Server 2012 Std modified to workstation.
    I only tested the Antivirus Apps, NO "security suites" the ones with firewalls and many other bloatware included.
    Using various tips from win2012workstation.com I tried already:

1- NOD32 v6; seems to be the best detection app, fast and very light on system resources, but I experienced some random lockups (complete system freeze).
    2- Bitdefender Free 2013; seems ok, but deleted some "suspicious" files without any warning... I did not like this.
    3- Trend Micro 2013 Titanium; this one I really liked, but there is no free option :(
    4- Avast Free v7, very trick to install, the one I'm using now, it's working fine for 1 week, no lockups so far.

Bottom line, I'd like to be able to use NOD (and would pay for it), however those lockups are not acceptable.
    I think I have to live with Avast Free and wait for v8 to see how it performs on server, if it works fine maybe I will pay for this one...

Hope it helps

6. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    How did you get Avast Free v7 onto Server?

7. anothercalifornian

anothercalifornian MDL Novice

Feb 5, 2013
    Update to list

Prevx 3.x works for me as a free scanner (fairly quiet too) and I have a licensed copy running on Win 8 Pro 64 bit as well for over a year, including Server 2008r2 when I first registered it. Its priced about as much as a normal client license per registered device.

8. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    Elaborate hosts file and common sense has been the best AV solution for me :busted_blue: (just for workstation usage though)

9. sglsg

sglsg MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2009
    Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2 is out for W8 & WS2012.
    Download from TPB. :cool:

10. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...