what are you using win8 on?????

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by throbber, Aug 18, 2012.

1. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    just wondering because so many people think its crap on a desktop pc.

2. hybridseries

hybridseries MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    I'm using it on my laptop (without a mouse, even) until release. Once it's released I'll be upgrading Windows 7 on my desktop and deleting my Windows 8 partition on the laptop to upgrade the existing install of Windows 7 there. It took me a little while to get used to it when the Consumer Preview first came out, but I've been using it pretty extensively since then and find it fairly easy to use once I adjusted to the new interface.

3. Morpheus NS

Morpheus NS MDL Novice

Jan 6, 2011
    It's not crap, it's the best operating system I have ever used. And I've used everything, Linux, Mac or Windows...

My desktop:
    AMD Phenom x4 9550
    ATI Radeon HD 4670
    Kingston DDR2 4GB
    Mushkin Chronos SSD 60GB + WD 320GB HDD
    Philips 226V 24'

4. free_refil

free_refil MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2010
    I'm currently dual-booting to a 50GB partition on my HP TouchSmart IQ505. A 21.5" AIO IR touchscreen with 2 point capability. I always kicked myself for being an early adopter of touchscreen technology, and the software that was available before Windows 8 was pretty embarassing. Sure, they had the Touch Pack for Windows 7, which was fun, and I was able to use Angry Birds and a few other fun games with it. But Windows 8 has been AMAZING with it! Everything works out of the box!

5. JonMS

JonMS MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2009
    I'm using it on my maxed mid 2010 Macbook Pro 15". Everything installed fine and I'm activated. Trackpad is fine as well I really like it so far I'm using it more then 10.8

6. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    I am using it on a old laptop from 2006 with a 5400 rpm hard disk in it. It's the fastest thing i have ever used on this laptop, booting take less and less time compared to windows 7 and windows xp. I still don't like the metro stuff but i do like the speeds for this older laptop.

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    I am using it on Dell Inspiron N4050 (PDC, 2 GB, 320 GB, Intel HD) and Dell Inspiron N5110 (Core i5, 4 GB, 500 GB, 525M GT 1 GB). Things are working very well here. I now consider Windows 7 as obsolete OS :p Just love my installations :yeahyeah:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Jessica Alba

Jessica Alba MDL Expert

Jul 26, 2009
    i,m using it on my laptop and started to liking it:biggrin:

9. Xphome

Xphome MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2012
    I'm running it on my desktop computer (Core i7-870 2,93Ghz, 16GB 1600Mhz RAM, Gigabyte GTX 680 2GB) which I use for everything. Most games and programs I've tried runs without problems.

10. charliebros

charliebros MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    Is my main os after Debian.
    I use it for watch videos, music (lossless FTW), render my Minecraft videos, make my Minecraft videos and all about my let's play series.
    And it rocks!

11. ! .ĐΛЄMØИ. !

! .ĐΛЄMØИ. ! MDL Junior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    I love how snappy it is compared to Win7, and I thought Win7 was fast!

But overall I like Win8 and now that I got activation sorted, time to migrate to Win8.

12. goritsaman

goritsaman MDL Novice

Apr 20, 2011
    Using it as my main OS on my desktop and 2 netbooks also, no problems at all:worthy:

13. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    I do not like Metro at all, neither solid colors, the only good performance feeled is only the boot time, which if u install 7 msdn untouched image on 7200 rpm hD, you do not need 8 at all.
    I used 8 from 7850 build, week before Rtm was out i upgraded back on Windows 7, now building on it "8 full glass theme", so not interested on RTM, my windows 7 copy is activated with original key, its fast, reliable, using it with Photoshop, Audio and video editing, office, music listening, theme building, and with multiple tasks taskbar is always at a glance, even i want my start menu(Start screen covers everything, full screen experience is useless if you use more programs(not apps, clearly!)

Just my opinion, Windows 8 with new Classic shell is tempting me, but no way.....

14. FiB3R_OPTiC

FiB3R_OPTiC MDL Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Well I downloaded the yank version & I'm using it on my table as a coffee coaster until the British enterprise version can be downloaded.

15. RuivoX

RuivoX MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    I'm using it cause it's rly better than windows 7 (performance, usability, etc)... Only thing that was keeping me from installing it was the outragerous Metro interface :mad: But now that i discovered Classic Sheel , and it brought back my start button and disabled the Metro, i'm using Windows 8 with no pain :eek:

16. jassi

jassi MDL Junior Member

Sep 10, 2011
    I am dual booting windows 8(main OS) with Xp and all programs run perfectly.
    :rolleyes: yes classic shell is the first program I will install on fresh OS.

17. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Congrats for wasting a DVD, bandwidth, and the opportunity to post something useful.

I originally disliked Win8, but after changing a few things like disabling Metro to make it a little more familiar, it runs very fast and is too me a better version of Windows 7. I use an i5 desktop PC with no driver or app problems. My only complaint so far is that disabling UAC breaks metro apps, and alot of Metro apps are the default application to open things like photos.

18. RuivoX

RuivoX MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    If you enable the administrator account and use it as your main acount u still get the UAC problems with metro apps ? I think worth a try ... ;)

And second: just install new programs that handle the files opened by the metro apps ... Like "Fox It Reader" to substitute the "Metro App Reader" ... Then after install, u just need right click and select the new program to ALWAYS open the files you want ... Easy cake :)

19. throbber

throbber MDL Addicted

Mar 13, 2008
    thx for the feed back guys:biggrin:. i did try it way back but the metro ui was cracking me up. i think i may give it another go as the rtm has appeared plus Classic Shell of course.