What can a 500W PSU 80 Bronze do in nowadays?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ussr_1991, Sep 27, 2013.

1. ussr_1991

ussr_1991 MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2008
    Hi all, as I have a as good as new 500W PSU 80 Bronze used to deployed in Pentium 4 system for less than 6 months before the motherboard has died years ago, I would like to know how such PSU can be re-deployed in Haswell or newer boards? Or do I need to buy a new PSU altogether?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Normally those Bronze PSU are certified PSU's with an quite high standard. That said, I would think it's still good to use for modern computers.

In normal use and today's computer need app. max 300Watts for working if you didn't use and CPU with power consumption and also overclock it! Or more than 6HDD's.

My computer with and AMD Black Edition 140Watt CPU, BD and DVD Burner 4 SATA 3 HDD's min., sometimes up to 8(!!) 8 Fan in the case, beacuse it's all times more than 30°Celsius on daytime and night time not below 25°Celsius, the power consumption for the Computer with 2 LCD's (23+22") connected use together 2A which is app. 450Watt maximum and my PSU is just 500Watts, 3 year's old now, run min. 15h a day!

So, I wouldn't be worry!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    The only ones I've found that cause troubles are the ancient ones without the extra 4 pins on the main connector and not enough 12V for the CPU. Other problems, such as lack of SATA power connectors, can be overcome with adapters.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's "Dinosaur" PSU's!!:biggrin:

Quite a long time ago and not just a few years, 8+(?)! Those PSUs had mainly not more than max 400Watt. I still use them for to power up HDD and CD/DVD drives which are external connected by eSata/Sata, SCSI and USB IDE Connectors which have their own PSU but very low power!

5. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    #5 Baghi, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
    You can use your existing PSU on your new build, Haswell has some power saving features which don't work with old PSUs. though those are disabled by default so you should be fine. What's the model number of PSU in question? 80 Plus ratings are gimmick, don't fall in this.

6. ussr_1991

ussr_1991 MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2008
    Seasonic M12 II 500W PSU, brought on 2009 to replace a faulty PSU on Pentium 4.

7. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    M12 II is a excellent PSU, built on a reliable platform/design you shouldn't have any problem at all. What are your rest of the system specs?

8. ussr_1991

ussr_1991 MDL Novice

Jan 15, 2008
    Yet to consider, because right now I do not have a Desktop PC and would like to know if that M12 can be reused on the upcoming PC within 2 years. Because, if it cannot be used even for now, then I can just focus to rebuild a system entirely. But since it can be used, then I would try to focus the spec to be able to maximize M12's potential.

9. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    It can easily compete eve against today's models from various good OEMs.