What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oooh, I dunno, in this day and age the EV trucks will fly soon, I'm sure... :D :D :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: I had given that some thought before I posted my reply. :D

When that happens...I'll take the truck. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh, yeah, mumma!!! :p Me wanna take me space truck and go for dinner, round me darlin's house on Mars, sure... :D :D :D

But we need another few Tesla's (the real Teslas) to get to that point, I'm afraid... :)

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    We still do not know how much it is going to cost us (everybody) to go "clean" Not really clean because the demand of electricity will go through the roof. Many places in the U.S. already experience brown outs and power failures when it gets very hot outside and everybody cranks down their thermostats. If we replace all our gas/petrol cars with EV's we might not be able to meet that electric demand, and we all know what happens then $$$$$$$. How much can you afford in a kw per mile/kilometer charge during a major heat wave when demand is at a peak?

You know they'll have us by the short and curly's when all the gas cars are gone. Here in the U.S. that means only the monopoly energy co's will set the prices (face palm)

5. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    It is not just A/C Joe, Many many houses nowadays are heating with electric also.

Some people simply refuse to see just where the electricity being used to charge these EV's is actually coming from.

6. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: I don't know about the individual consumer prices, because there's no infrastructure set up.
    Corporations like Frito-Lay have made investments in electric vehicles. Hopefully, we'll be able to use the test data to determine feasibility on a large scale.

@JFKI: I agree with you. Electric power will still be generated by fossil fuels, or possibly nuclear. But the trick is to try to cut back on the garbage
    that automobile exhausts emit. Catalytic converters have done good, but we need to do better.

Not to side-track, but what we really need is a biodegradable plastic that doesn't produce toxins when it decomposes.

7. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #207 JFKI, Oct 5, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    In my area 15-30% is nuclear. See the spoiler in https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...bout-electric-cars.74979/page-10#post-1373555

What we really need to do is liquefy today's plastic and pump it back down the spent oil wells and go back to using glass. :dunno:

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    We can go renewables in a short period of time, the science and tech are already there - what is missing is political will, due to real interests of fossil fuel industry and overall structural inertia regarding the necessary changes to the marketplace and businesses involved in this substantial change!

However, Germany, for instance, is not a small state and they have shown the way already, reaching over 80% of their electrical energy consumption via renewables, having rejected nuclear and stated their strategic goals of leaving oil behind!

Sun alone provides us with all the energy we need on a yearly basis in a matter of hours if... Well, we could already do a helluva lot if only...

The strategy has to be wholesome, involving state powers and incentives, of course...

https://electrek.co/2017/10/05/egeb...els-alone-dusty-solar-panels-lose-up-35-more/

https://electrek.co/2017/10/04/nissan-ev-ecosystem-free-power-leaf-vehicle-to-grid/

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #209 Joe C, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    time for a reality check

Germany's electrical power sources in 2016
    [​IMG]
    I think renewable energy is a great idea and Germany should be commended for their effort in doing so, but take off your blinders and wake up. Your enthusiasm has you believing in things that are not here

10. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  11. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    While not dealing with electric vehicles specifically, the following video does deal with the problem of energy generation and has some innovative potential solutions.

12. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Super Batteries

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://thinkprogress.org/germany-j...ctricity-from-renewable-sources-ac4a323c840c/

https://www.ge.com/reports/rock-roll-massive-acdc-converter-size-arc-de-triomphe-installed-sea/

https://energytransition.org/2016/0...ts-2020-target-for-renewable-power-this-year/

https://cleantechnica.com/2014/05/15/germany-reaches-nearly-75-renewable-power-use-sunday/

https://energytransition.org/2016/05/germany-nearly-reached-100-percent-renewable-power-on-sunday/

Germany nearly reached 100 percent renewable power on Sunday
    by Craig Morris
    11 May 2016

"After surpassing 80 percent renewable electricity for a few hours last year, Germany may have briefly reached around 95 percent on May 8. But the news is not only cause for celebration – a boundary has also been crossed. We are now entering the hard territory. Craig Morris explains."

I think they are showing the way, when it comes to big players but hey... let's play the ostrich game and pretend that the whole world is the USofA...

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Will this be "good enough"?!? :D :D :D

And then there's this... announcer... Oh, my... :p

Mamma, she seems much more than good enough for me.... YUM!! :p :p :p What an... accent... LUVely!!! :p :D :p

16. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    It seems battery technology is advancing rapidly increasing energy capacity. But I wonder whether a battery can explode releasing all that energy if...
    A battery gets short-circuited, externally or internally.
    The car catches fire.
    The battery gets overheated during charging, e.g. due to faulty charger or its old age.

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Weather will also play a major factor in using batteries, In my area of the U.S., we can get to -20f (-29c) in the winter and they are not rated for those extreme temps.

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  19. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Looks like Elon uses his power to keep his company costs to a minimum too, problems?