What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Yeah, it does kinda look that way, instead of giving raises he is hiring a whole new set of noobs.
    Do I really want to buy an EV from this guy ? No.

2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tosko

Tosko MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2016
    Apart from the fact that the car cannot be charged easily everywhere, if the battery dies of electric cars, it's s**tty expensive to replace.
    Look at the Tesla model S for example. I know this guy who bought one and used it for his taxi services. He had to replace the battery after 2 years, which cost him about €30.000,- (about $35k)

Without a battery the car is useless, just like an engine for a car. But a new engine is never that expensive (maybe unless you own a very luxurious (sports) car maybe..)

I also drive to all my vacation destinations within europe. The Netherlands (where I live) is somewhat good covered for electric cars, but if I start driving east, they do not have these electrical charging posts. And yes you can charge your car as well with the conventional home power, but not all countries can provide a stable continuous power supply, and are often quite weak. It would take houuurs to charge, and that is not something I want when I drive 2400 km to my destination for example. Also the range that I can cover with an electrical car is maybe half (or maybe even less) compared to a diesel car. Instead of a day or two driving, it would take me dayyss.

So I am not willing to risk it just yet

4. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I doubt the first is the norm!

"EU East" does not have the money yet, so chicken and egg... But eventually this will come in better quantities, I am sure...

On the other hand, I checked (I am from Croatia, they tell me :D ) and you can get to Cro by an EV... Check it out, the map is here somewhere... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tosko

Tosko MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2016
    Yeah I did check. And sure money is the issue now. Which means that at this moment in time, it is not for me. My vacation destination would be Kosovo for example.

East-EU:
    40039B2E-69E7-4565-B55D-EC974B7B35D1.png

West-EU:

3291C716-10FA-4965-8D8A-EF3F6D130310.png

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Oh, my... You're too exotic, even for me... :D :p :D

Mir dita! :)

7. Tosko

Tosko MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2016
    Mir dita!! :D Aje mir?

How so too exotic? :D

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It's proper Orient before Orient, no need to go to Iran or some such "crazy" thing... :D Save yourself some fuel.... :p

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Your Vid blob:
    On the story from Wired, that is probably the main reason the Elon can not make production quota's and is far behind in deliveries.
    The writer is a noob. He has no idea of what automotive production is about.

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanx - this is the same video on https://www.wired.com/story/teslas-secret-second-floor/ - under "Related video", just see it and then think about it... It's impressive, the best the US has...

As for noob or not - you are qualified to make that judgement? How, please?

FYI, these articles are most often unchanged stuff companies release...

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Probably more than some.
    My grandfather and my father both worked for Ford, I was born in Detroit. My friends worked for the big 3 and myself and other friends worked at one or more of the 1000's of small shops that made parts for the auto industry. Many area's of my life are involved directly or indirectly with the auto industry. I live in Michigan, My entire life has been surrounded in manufacturing

16. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #237 Joe C, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    The auto manufactures that have been around for a long while and that the includes foreign car market. They know how to produce. Elon refuses to accept mass production as it has already been proven to work for many decades
    https://www.recode.net/2017/7/3/15916730/tesla-delivery-goals-second-quarter-2017
    I do admire Elon for wanting to do all the manufacturing by himself, but that does not make cars very quickly. Competition between smaller companies that bid to get jobs for producing automotive parts will be much more efficient. (the demise of AC/Delco is proof)
    When Ford, GM, Honda, Toyota and the other players start mass production, Elon might find himself in a world of hurt

18. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: I agree with you. Just about every auto maker uses outsourcing to leverage their production.

It's just good business. I hope Elon Musk realizes that and at least tries to follow the model that has been proven to work for decades.

19. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #239 JFKI, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    You must mean like back in the late 80's and early 90's when GM outsourced their engine remanufacturing to Mexico and only 1 out of 3 made the first 1000 miles without blowing up. It was good business... for someone, :dunno: who though.

( Just glad we had Ford ambulances in our area. )

20. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @JFKI: We are now in 2017. Not in the early 90's.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/16/news/companies/gm-supplier-jobs-mexico/

Try to stay focused...(Old-Timer) :D