What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://electriccarsreport.com/2018...n-2017/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Plug-in Vehicles Displaced 216 Million Gallons of Gasoline in 2017
    [​IMG]

Real issues: https://www.teslarati.com/ai-discrimination-concerns-human-rights-groups/?t=1&cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjcw==&refsrc=email&iid=1779f91a088148d4a67b7b4a5a5c89b5&uid=917878446&nid=244+285282312

Will AI violate human rights? Humanitarian groups are trying to make sure they don’t
    A group of human rights organizations has signed the Toronto Declaration on Machine Learning, an initiative that calls for regulations designed to protect people from human rights violations caused by artificial intelligence. The declaration was signed on Wednesday, with groups such as Amnesty International, Access Now, Human Rights Watch, and the Wikimedia Foundation pledging their support.

The Toronto Declaration is rather unique in the way that it draws from international human rights laws. According to the declaration, it is imperative for people who are discriminated against by AI-based systems to have an avenue where they can seek reparations, considering that intelligent machines would likely “learn” implicit biases based on the information that they are fed. As could be seen in the declaration’s Preamble, the emergence of new technologies lies the need to develop new ways to protect human rights, particularly among diverse individuals and marginalized groups. The declaration further noted that AI-based technologies could “exacerbate discrimination at scale.”

“Existing patterns of structural discrimination may be reproduced and aggravated in situations that are particular to these technologies – for example, machine learning system goals that create self-fulfilling markers of success and reinforce patterns of inequality, or issues arising from using non-representative or “biased” datasets.

“All actors, public and private, must prevent and mitigate discrimination risks in the design, development and, application of machine learning technologies and that ensure that effective remedies are in place before deployment and throughout the lifecycle of these systems.”

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/16/4-charts-2-pictures-on-why-electric-vehicles-are-the-future/

A pearl: https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/19...e-electric-jaguar-royal-wedding/?guccounter=1

[​IMG]

Made in Sveta Nedelja, Croatia, by Rimac & co. I wonder... for how much?!? :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Why is that roll over test not done with something in real life, like on asphalt?
    How many people roll their cars over in a giant kitty litter box?

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, that's what they said: it can NOT be done under ANY circumstance, a-haaaa... :rolleyes: Seriously. what a larf... :D

Anyhow, on asphalt one can slide more than in the sand, hence... Ach, never mind... :p :p :p

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #806 Joe C, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    uhh.... yea, right. Whatever

I suppose that Tesla would never skew their test would they?

7. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    My granny could "argue" better than this...

If you don't have an argument - you should be schtoom! Otherwise you make yourself look ridiculous...

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Good thing we don't have discussions here ain't it?

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    :)

11. monkeylove

monkeylove MDL Member

Dec 8, 2013
    About solar and wind:

Renewable Energy is Great, But It Won’t Save Us

In the end, the world will have to use combinations of energy sources, including fossil fuels. And if one still wants a middle class lifestyle involving expensive electric cars used for personal travel, a lot of fossil fuels. How much? Enough to provide material resources equivalent to at least one more earth.

And that's assuming that the world population won't increase further and that global warming plus environmental damage won't take their toll on resource availability.

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It takes a small fraction of Sahara covered by our present-day energy grabbing tech to fuel the whole of Europe. And every continent has such areas...

It's a different issue how to distribute this energy large distances or how to store it and distribute it that way, perhaps... As of now, we do not have that tech to the level it is necessary to completely turn away from non-renewables.

However, Humanity is working on such tech all the time and I have no doubt whatsoever that we will improve the tech significantly! When? To what degree? Who knows (other than various Monkys :rolleyes: :D )...

Anyway, from such conservative, ill-informed and ill-conceived speculation to reality...

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-suc...-flight/?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email

[​IMG]

https://electrek.co/2018/05/27/tesl...on-musk/?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email

Tesla starts rolling out Model 3 update to reduce braking distance by up to ~20 ft, says Elon Musk

https://mailchi.mp/electricdrive/bl...the-week?cn=ZmxleGlibGVfcmVjc18y&refsrc=email

Driving on electricity costs the equivalent of about $1 a gallon and it is stably priced. Electricity is domestically produced, insulated from the volatility of a global market.

13. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    yes I am all for electric car's - I had an idea for an electric car ... It could make me million's and surprised that nobody has thought of it . but will keep it to myself like I do with all my ideas :) >Smile<

Posted from VM-machine server 2012 R2 - AAOEM :)

14. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  16. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  17. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    sorry...:sleep2::D

18. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Not unimportant in cold places, you know... ;)

After all, we have already.
    [​IMG]