What do you think about Electric Cars?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Aug 24, 2017.

?

Will your next car be electric?

1. My next car will be electric

2. I’ll wait several years for prices to drop

3. I’m not convinced by them, I’ll buy conventional

4. I am undecided, far more info is required

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Well, that's a downer... Saw the "electric" bit and haven't read carefully the rest...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  4. Rouben

Rouben MDL Member

Oct 17, 2017
    Looks like they're still around and being skeptical, according to the poll on this thread. :p;)

5. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://www.electricvehiclesresearc...through-battery-chemistry-from-honda-research

7. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @gorski: Great link. :)

Here's a great link where you can take a look at some of the compounds that may be used in these new batteries.

https://www.chemicalbook.com/ProductCatalog_EN/1331.htm

As you may already know, PTFE (Teflon) is very stable, except when it is heated to a very high temperature. Then it breaks down into
    toxic chemicals.

See here: https://www.fluoridealert.org/wp-content/pesticides/teflon.decomposition.prod.htm

As you can see, if a car fire takes place and these batteries are burned, They will outgas -very- toxic chemicals.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I thought that was "it", the "selling point" - batteries NOT working at high temperatures... quite the opposite.... but OK...

I am well aware of Teflon and its problematic nature at high temperatures, hence I removed them from our home... ;)

9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  10. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Indeed, on the latter part! :)

Thanx for the links! Only time will tell which of these are life-saving/enhancing inventions... ;)

11. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  13. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    It's just a student project, a proof of concept, a peek at the possible future... ;)

Besides, it's just a journalist copying and pasting... :D

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    The problem with electric cars currently, is that time it takes to re-charge a battery. I personally do not see a mass amount of people rushing out to get a car that takes 1 hour, a 1/2 hour or even 15 minutes to charge. Ain't going to happen because people are not that patient. Now if fuel cell cars could charge (re-fuel) in 5 minutes or about as long as it takes to re-fuel as petrol then I could see more acceptance from the everybody

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    15 minutes is OK, as it often takes that long on petrol pumps and new ones can get over 50% or so in 15 mins...

It is getting there...

18. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  19. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Yeah, however when it comes to a "charging issue" there are some things better spelt out:

"Charging a Tesla from empty to full takes over an hour. That's an exceedingly rare use case. We typically charge to 90% at home (Holding the battery at 100% for long periods is one of the causes of reduced battery life.) On long trips, we keep the charge state in the sweet spot between 20 and 80% which typically takes about 20 minutes of supercharging. This gives enough energy to get to the next supercharger (the car tells you when it has enough charge to proceed). The batteries charge much faster when they are at a low voltage, so waiting for a 100% charge is usually a waste of time. I've only driven one segment in 2.5 years that required a full charge - Farmington NM to Grand Junction CO, 215 miles in the mountains, 4–1/2 hours, in mid-summer, A/C on full. I arrived with about 20 miles range left.

Of course if you're stopping for lunch on a trip, there's no reason not to charge to 100% - you might be able to take a longer segment and skip a charger, or take a short charge later."

So, there is this is the flip side of the "impatient" attitude: https://www.quora.com/How-long-does-it-take-to-charge-a-Tesla

"As a general rule of thumb about how long it takes to charge on a Supercharger, think of it like this:
    - 20–30 minutes to go from 20% battery remaining to 80% full.
    - 60 minutes to go from 20% battery remaining to 95%.
    - 90 minutes to go from 20% battery remaining to 100%.

As always, the ideal state is to partner your charging with another activity, so you don’t have to even think about it. Charging stations are becoming so ubiquitous that it often isn’t hard to find locations within a city where you can charge while you shop or eat and come back to your car with 40, 60, or even 100 miles of additional range. I suspect in 10 years, the question of “how fast” will no longer be necessary. Never leave home without Plugshare loaded on your phone."

Charging at home is a different issue, depending on what you have installed at home, like so:

My 3 mo old X charges on my NEMA 14-50 at 27 miles per hour, or just over 150 mi during my 6 hours of TOU between MN and 6AM every night at $0.071 per kWh. If I charge longer, then I pay almost twice as much. Many weeks that 150 mi is good for the entire week. Otherwise, I charge a couple nights."

But then, you don't actually wait, most of the time...

20. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    https://electrek.co/2018/12/24/daf-electric-truck/

"Earlier this year, Dutch truck manufacturing company DAF unveiled their CF electric truck program.

The truck maker partnered VDL Groep to build the electric powertrain for their CF truck, which consists of a 170 kWh battery pack and a 210 kW electric motor.

While it’s a small battery pack for a truck of that size, DAF claims that it still enables a range of 100 km with a capacity of up to 40 tons, which it says is still useful in distribution applications within urban areas.

The company is also talking about a “quick charging of the batteries in 30 minutes or a complete full charge can be accomplished in as little as 1.5 hours.”"